IPod Replacement

Brad

18 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Thanks for the news on Oppo. I hadn't heard that. I may have to go buy a second UDP-203 for my house. It's a great 4K DVD player and *I* still have a use for media even if today's generation doesn't.

Man, am I feeling old these days...

It's not just today's generation. I know many cats my age (47) and older that have completely weened themselves off of physical media. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

It's not just today's generation. I know many cats my age (47) and older that have completely weened themselves off of physical media. 

Oh, don't get me wrong - I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime too. I just can't seem to throw out my physical media just yet and I've only recently picked up a few UHD discs that look absolutely fantastic on my LG 65" OLED screen. I also have several 3D Blurays that I would always play before I'd stream the 2D version.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

No, I certainly wasn't suggesting you throw anything out! The only physical media I've bought over the last five years were a few box sets. Everything else is either downloads, or streaming. 

I'm coming around to that for music but I can't do the same for video. Bluray and UHD discs look so much better than streamed video. Passive 3D on my OLED is incredible. Even the soundtrack (surround) is better off of disc. I realize that movies will likely be shifted to download only someday but it'll just make me feel that much older.

I still have a landline too. :)

Get off my lawn!

2 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

So Kevin, you gonna go the Fiio route?

I've thought about it. I still use my old iPod for portable music and I worry it may die on me. I don't use it that often - mainly for when I'm working out or for when I'm running it into my Bose Soundlink Color II on my back deck. Truth be told, i often use my Samsung Galaxy S8 for the Bose Soundlink. Sacrilege! :) 

My car doesn't have a CD player so I've had to resort to Sirius/XM and music on a thumb drive plugged into the USB port. The world is dragging me, kicking & screaming into the new technology. I'm resisting but I feel like I'm up against the Borg.

Hey, at least I haven't connected my turntable to my Bose Soundlink yet! Hmmm... how could I do that?

23 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Thanks for the news on Oppo. I hadn't heard that. I may have to go buy a second UDP-203 for my house. It's a great 4K DVD player and *I* still have a use for media even if today's generation doesn't.

Man, am I feeling old these days...

BTW, I did order a another Oppo Digital UDP-203. It's such a great player that handles any disc I've thrown at it. The audiophile model, the UDP-205, is already sold out and it's fetching big bucks on Amazon.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Hey, at least I haven't connected my turntable to my Bose Soundlink yet! Hmmm... how could I do that?

Hmmm... Turntable to TT preamp to Bose?  Or TT to TT preamp to amp to Bose?  I haven't used any of these little devices, but it might be fun to try:

TT preamp: Nobosound Little Bear T7, $54.00 (you'd just need a Y-cable to connect from line out to Bose):

7197UF3YtfL._SL1500_.jpg

Amp: SMSL B1, $59.95:

51jbfpWB%2BOL._SL1001_.jpg

16 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

The audiophile model, the UDP-205, is already sold out and it's fetching big bucks on Amazon.

That is insane. When Oppo announced they were winding down production, they said they were going to continue to manufacture players for now and they expected to have sufficient inventory to last until the summer or fall. Guess they didn't necessarily mean all models. They do have a link on their website's info page for the 205 allowing you to "register for a potential production run". I'd think they could easily sell as many as they could crank out in the next few months. 

I purchased a Sony Walkman NW A45 and like it quite a bit. It has Bluetooth so I can play it wirelessly in my car and it sounds better in my car than the old iPod (or so it seems to me).  

I'm now looking into some good headphones.  Based on comments I've seen on the Hoffman Forum, I may purchase Beyerdynamic DT 770s. 

• 4 months later...

I am a little late to this topic, but browsing through the comments I didn't see this mentioned. My iPod classic was going and the folks at the Apple store told me that I could have the mechanical hard drive replaced with "flash" memory which is in thumbdrives, etc.

After doing some research I opted for a gentleman who does this work and offers his product/service on ebay. I'm going to have my memory nudged from 160 GB to 512. Here is his blurb:

This listing is for an upgrade service to upgrade your 6th (needs Rockbox, which I install) or 7th generation iPod classic. You send in your iPod and I will replace your existing traditional HDD with a 512GB Samsung based SSD and Tarkan iFlash adapter, and a new battery. All 7th gen iPods (160GB thin) are compatible. 6th generation(80,120,160GB Thick) iPods are compatible but require the installation of Rockbox in order to bypass apples 128GB limit. 
Please feel free to make an offer! 

An SSD will be faster, lighter and more durable than the stock HDD. The biggest advantage to the SSD over even an HDD is that there are no.moving parts, so durability is greatly improved. The adapter I use in this upgrade is also known for its reliability and the most recommended for iPod upgrades. The SSD should offer comparable battery life to the original drive. 

We actively update our prices in order to ensure you are getting the best possible deal. Feel free to make offers too. See someone offering it cheaper? As long as it is confirmed they're using the same memory as us we will match or beat the price!

PLEASE NOTE: Due to some reports of reliability issues with SSDs we are beginning to phase over to primarily SD card based upgrades. These usually offer better battery life and better stability with iTunes as they use. The SD upgrades use class 10 high speed SD cards. 

Please note that with this upgrade, there will be an approximate limit of 35,000 to 50,000 tracks, depending on your iPod model (the exact limit will vary depending on how much metadata your iPod uses but should be within a few thousand of these numbers). This limit is a result of iTunes database size and the amount of RAM available in the iPods, not a result of the flash upgrade. Please see below for compatibility: 

Ebay link

I'm excited to have triple the space and optimistic that this will work. Replacement iPod Classics seem to now be over $400 for the most part. I offered $249 and he accepted my offer.

Edited by greggery peccary

On 8/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, kh1958 said:

Please report back how this goes.

I received my iPod back yesterday. The gentleman who did the work was very good about communicating with me. At my request he did not put Rockbox on my iPod. He also completed the work and returned my unit more quickly than advertised.

The iPod came back with 462 GB of space available on it. As per instructions which were included I synced songs in groups of just over 4,000. It was explained that the sync process generates some heat and that the process can also use up the battery (which he replaced) more quickly than it can be replenished/charged so syncing groups of more than 5,000 songs is discouraged. Starting at 4:30 PM, the last of 12,460 songs (260 GB) finished syncing at 11:00 PM. This is much faster than the couple of times that I had to restore the iPod in its original configuration- which took almost 48 hours. The majority of my files are also saved into iTunes as Apple Lossless (ALAC) and I synced them as such. In order to fit them into the 160 GB drive I had iTunes downsample (?) files down to 256 KB. I didn't notice an appreciable difference in having done so, but I like having my lossless files back. It appeals to the wisp of audiophile in me.

I listened last night and I've been listening this morning as well. The iPod seems to be working fine, I went in and changed settings and menus to my preference with no worries. 

All in all I'm very pleased. I have separate iPod Classics for rock, classical, and blues. The rock and classical are both near capacity and I recently downsized the files in the rock device to get extra space. I upgraded this iPod for repair purposes, but based on this experience I wouldn't hesitate to do it with my rock iPod for no other reason to get the extra space. There is a 1 TB option but it is over $500 and that just might be too much space and money. 512 GB for $250 might just be my sweet spot.