Need recommendations on inexpensive laser printers

Need to buy a laser printer for my wife to replace her Epson XP-400, which for some reason now only prints out some sort of system dump whenever we try to print something on it.  Needs to do good color photo-quality pictures, and needs to scan.  Can get by with any other functions on my inkjet printer.  Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, felser said:

Need to buy a laser printer for my wife to replace her Epson XP-400, which for some reason now only prints out some sort of system dump whenever we try to print something on it.  Needs to do good color photo-quality pictures, and needs to scan.  Can get by with any other functions on my inkjet printer.  Any suggestions?

Did your printer get set into hex dump mode? See this page: https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/fx890_/fx890_rf/troub_1.htm

To turn off hex dump, start printing a page, press Pause, press Load/Eject to eject the printed page and then shut off the printer.

NOTE WELL:

r_caut.gif Caution:
r_space.gif
Do not turn off the printer while it is printing the hex dump. Always press the Pause button to stop printing and the Load/Eject button to eject the printed page before you turn off the printer.

I know it doesn't exactly match your requirements, but I have to put in a good word for my Brother HL-L8350CDW.  Doesn't have a scanner, photo prints are acceptable, but it's a workhorse, very quiet and dependable.  Also, I have to put in a bad word about Epson.  I bought one of their all-in-one inkjets.  It came with a one-year warranty, and died after 14 months.  Epson refused to honor the warranty since it was 2 months out of warranty.  I've had some people debate me on this, but I maintain this is not the mark of an honorable company - I never intended to replace my printer every 14 months.  I think we all have the expectation that the equipment we buy will work for many years.  So think carefully before you buy another Epson.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Did it work?

Sort of.  I can print using a USB cable, but not wireless.  But that is close enough for me - we only occasionally use the printer for my wife's work, and I have an HP inkjet I use for day-to-day.

6 hours ago, Patrick said:

I'm cursing out loud at my Brother (printer), unsuccessfully getting it to operate after replacing toner cartridge (with one from Brother). What a brother bother.

I’ve never had a problem.  Works well for us.