BFT 169 Discussion Thread: Enjoyable and Zorn Free

Mary6170

I really like track 4 (too bad about the fade-out). Is it Ethiopian by any chance?

It could also be a track from one of Jazzman's "Spiritual Jazz" compilations.

Track 5: those are Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Chili Dogs". Here's a link to an entertaining live version of this track ("Echoes Of Primitive Ohio And Chili Dogs"):

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/05/rahsaan-roland-kirk-and-the-vibration-society-echoes-of-primitive-ohio-and-chili-dogs.html

Edited by corto maltese

59 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

I think track 2 is Spencer Barefield's "Escape From Bizarro World" from this album:

R-2368516-1279970518.png.jpg

You are correct. I did not think that anyone would know this album.

40 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

I really like track 4 (too bad about the fade-out). Is it Ethiopian by any chance?

It could also be a track from one of Jazzman's "Spiritual Jazz" compilations.

Track 5: those are Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Chili Dogs". Here's a link to an entertaining live version of this track ("Echoes Of Primitive Ohio And Chili Dogs"):

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/05/rahsaan-roland-kirk-and-the-vibration-society-echoes-of-primitive-ohio-and-chili-dogs.html

Track #4 is Ethiopean. If it is on a "Spiritual Jazz' compilation, I do not know about that.

Yes, you have identified the title of the Rahsaan Roland Kirk song, Track #5. Thanks for the live version. I enjoyed that.

21 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

OK, I should have recognized track 4 immediately... It's Mulatu Astatke! "Tezetaye Anchi Lidge" from his wonderful "Ethio Jazz" album. Top choice!

Sound quality seems very fine. Is this a CD reissue?

You are very, very good at this. That is the track and artist. It is on Ethiopiques 4, a CD.

3 hours ago, Mary6170 said:

I am glad that you have listened. #4 is not from a South African muaician. This is not Winston  Mankunku Ngozi. Now i want to hear his music. 

Did you listen to tbe next song, Track #5? It might be in your area of listening preference.

NOT South African! Oh wow, then I don't know. Almost certainly not from Africa unless there are good jazz musicians in Botswana, Zimbabwe or Zambia, all of which I greatly doubt.

So if it's modern and European or American, I'm on foreign territory.

I'll have a go at #5. Thanks.

MG

5 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

NOT South African! Oh wow, then I don't know. Almost certainly not from Africa unless there are good jazz musicians in Botswana, Zimbabwe or Zambia, all of which I greatly doubt.

So if it's modern and European or American, I'm on foreign territory.

I'll have a go at #5. Thanks.

MG

Track #4 is Ethiopian and has just been identified by member corto maltese.

2 hours ago, Mary6170 said:

Track #4 is Ethiopian and has just been identified by member corto maltese.

Thank you. I got a free LP from some shop that didn't know what else to do with it of Ethiopian Jewish Liturgical Music. It was the most awful-sounding music I'd never heard, so I gave it to someone at work. (I DID tell him what I thought of it, but he still accepted it.) And I've kept well away from Ethiopian music since. But OK, I did know an Ethiopian student in the sixties who really dug Lonnie Smith and David Newman, so I evidently did that country's entire music output an injustice.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Does that guy have any albums of his own or is he a star of various artists compilations?

OK, well I can't get #5 either, but that's pretty nice. I'll be interested in knowing who this is.

Thanks

MG

40 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Thank you. I got a free LP from some shop that didn't know what else to do with it of Ethiopian Jewish Liturgical Music. It was the most awful-sounding music I'd never heard, so I gave it to someone at work. (I DID tell him what I thought of it, but he still accepted it.) And I've kept well away from Ethiopian music since. But OK, I did know an Ethiopian student in the sixties who really dug Lonnie Smith and David Newman, so I evidently did that country's entire music output an injustice.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Does that guy have any albums of his own or is he a star of various artists compilations?

OK, well I can't get #5 either, but that's pretty nice. I'll be interested in knowing who this is.

Thanks

MG

The Ethiopian artist on #4. Mulatu Astatke,  has several albums of his own.

Track #5 has been identified as Rahsaan Roland Kirk, “Echoes of Primitive Ohio and Chili Dogs.” 

Edited by Mary6170

1 hour ago, Mary6170 said:

Track #5 has been identified as Rahsaan Roland Kirk, “Echoes of Primitive Ohio and Chili Dogs.” 

Wow...I've got most of Rahaan's output, including this one, but that might be the album I listen to least, and not for any really good reason. No matter, shame on me for not at least recognizing the player.

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Wow...I've got most of Rahaan's output, including this one, but that might be the album I listen to least, and not for any really good reason. No matter, shame on me for not at least recognizing the player.

I listened to the entire album just before posting this Blindfold Test and was reminded of how good it is. The second version of "The Entertainer" struck me this time as an exciting performance. "Portrait of Those Beautiful Ladies" and 'Freaks for the Festival" also struck me as more memorable than I had remembered. There are multiple versions of these songs on the album and there is at least one take of each song which strikes me as excellent. Opinions would probably differ as to which version of each song is preferred.

Edited by Mary6170

OK, a little more before the month gets away.

5: Darn, that ID slipped right past me, though I replayed that album a few months back. This track is worth another listen just for the piano comping.

7: I'm left with a strong feeling I've heard this before. James Newton? What commanding flute playing.

8: Maybe Darcy James Argue?

10: Even if I don't have a guess, I like it very much.

11: Mixed feelings here. Again, a strong feeling I've heard it before. The reasons for that feeling may not be so good. I've heard several records sort of like this one over the last few years. Take some changes that sound like a Radiohead song and add some blowing that works up to repeated-note climaxes like an arena rock guitar solo. I guess this is a new iteration of How Things Should Be Done. This performance is  an excellent example of some new parameters. I like it some, but I want to see it open up to other things.

Overall, a damn fine BFT here.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, Spontooneous said:

OK, a little more before the month gets away.

5: Darn, that ID slipped right past me, though I replayed that album a few months back. This track is worth another listen just for the piano comping.

7: I'm left with a strong feeling I've heard this before. James Newton? What commanding flute playing.

8: Maybe Darcy James Argue?

10: Even if I don't have a guess, I like it very much.

11: Mixed feelings here. Again, a strong feeling I've heard it before. The reasons for that feeling may not be so good. I've heard several records sort of like this one over the last few years. Take some changes that sound like a Radiohead song and add some blowing that works up to repeated-note climaxes like an arena rock guitar solo. I guess this is a new iteration of How Things Should Be Done. This performance is  an excellent example of some new parameters. I like it some, but I want to see it open up to other things.

Overall, a damn fine BFT here.

Thank you for the compliment.

Track #7 is not James Newton. I agree with you about the quality of the flute playing.

Track #8 is not who you guessed. I have never heard of who you guessed.

Track #10. I also like this very much. You may be surprised when you find out who it is.

Track #11. You have made some interesting comments, many of which I am in general agreement with. I included this Track partly to discover what others thought of it. I have mixed feelings. I have heard the leader on sideman recordings where I liked his playing better.