Dylan Box Live 1966 recommendation

Gdgray

I have all the Dylan Bootleg Box sets on CD except Trouble No More on vinyl. Also purchased  The Royal Albert Hall 1966 on vinyl.  Have original vinyl of Nashville Skyline and Greatest Hits II.

Trying to decide whether to purchase Sydney 1966 on vinyl or the Live 1966 box set. The Royal Albert on vinyl was great for the acoustic side but lacking on the electric side IMO. The size of the box concerns me. I am big Dead follower as well and have the Complete 1972 trunk and 30 Trips around the sun box. Don't get to visit these as much after first listen. Of course I have all the Miles's Box sets and bootlegs too. I went for Vinyl on Vol 6 for Stockholm and Copenhagen.

I am buying more vinyl these days but trying to be selective and not replace everything I own on CD.I purchased Side Tracks on vinyl because many of the songs are on  Biograph. I have Biograph on cassette only. 

I am retired but it hasn't slowed down my purchasing habits. I appreciate any insight you can provide.  

I have the box on CD.  Love and admire that period of Dylan as I do nothing else, but still find the box to be overkill, especially the shows with virtually unlistenable audio.  There really isn't enough difference show to show to begin to justify it in my mind.  I think maybe it was release by CBS/Sony to preserve their copyright on the material.

I enjoyed the box.  I listened to it chronologically, which front-loaded many of the worse sounding recordings.  Obviously you'd need to pace yourself and not listen to the entire box at once.  I'll probably never listen to most of it again, but was glad to "take the journey."  Look at it this way: if you had attended any of these concerts in 1966, you wouldn't have had an expectation of listening to it again.  Enjoy it for what it is.  Even though each concert repeats the same setlist, I was struck by the variety inherent in the musicianship; it was somewhat like listening to a jazz sextet.  Garth Hudson is brilliant.

I found the electric side of Royal Albert Hall LP to be very poor audio and I don't generally consider myself fussy. Can't imagine wanting more of a similar quality. Nothing in the Miles sets come close to sounding as bad. In jazz terms you've got to go to Bird in France or Sweden to get comparable in terms of dodgy audio as this.

I think I can live with Royal Albert Hall on vinyl. I was hoping it would be as strong as the Vol 4 CD Royal Albert Hall.  Was pleasantly surprised that Trouble No More on vinyl was so strong. I personally don't mind the the relgious subject matter , sound is very good and I like the band. Very strong players and great backup singers. Reminds me of the church I grew up in. I can save my money for next Bootleg release or next Dead box set. 

Thanks 

I have the box and the Bootleg Series Volume 4 Live 1996 "Royal Albert Hall" Concert.  I don't have any of these vinyl.  Are people making the mistake of confusing the Royal Albert Hall Concert in the box with that of The Bootleg Series Volume 4, which is actually the Manchester show?  It should be easy to tell the difference.  Both are good performances, Manchester just a bit edgier.  I think the intention was to record a live album at Royal Albert Hall, so Manchester was sort of a rehearsal.  Watch, I'll get it wrong and Manchester was after on the tour.  I didn't check the dates on the box.  I think the sound quality of both shows is very good although there are several shows in the box that weren't professional quality.  If you're a rabid Dylan fan the box makes sense as the price per disc is very good.  I think it's Dylan's best songwriting and best band, although he's had a lot of great bands, but I could be happy simply with Bootleg Series Volume 4, Live 1966.

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

Should be easy to distinguish Manchester from London:  Listen for someone calling out "Judas!" just before they play Like a Rolling Stone "fucking loud". 

"I don't believe you.  You're a liar."   :P

• 4 months later...

Of course I bought it. Just took the right price. I like the fact it’s basically the same set list, I enjoy focusing on the performance. I find it similar to a lot of early ABB with Duane. Same set lists but different nuance to each song performance. 

Edited by Gdgray