Ebay craziness

Alfred

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in another thread in the Vinyl Forum, but this "Candy" auction really demonstrates what I'm talking about:

If you are competing against "buy at any cost" competitors, and you do manage to win, you might actually be losing, on the theory that the "winning" bidder at any auction is the person who is willing to pay above-market pries. Above-market since no one else is willing to match the bid. Now, if the auction is taking place somewhere on earth where old Blue Note LPs are not known as valuable objects (is there still such a place?), then maybe the market values can be considered unrepresetnative. But on EBAY, where there is a huge market of knowledgeable and affluent buyers , if you still prevail, you probably arent' getting a bargain, and might, indeed, be paying too much. There are other factors to consider, of course, including personal satisfaction, a hope for future appreciation, etc, but on pure market value, especially in today's hot market, the high bid might in the end be the losing bid.

• 7 years later...

Not a typo... I remember when this Dizzy Reece LP was a $500 record and that wasn't more than a few years ago...

The only credible explanation is that the dollar isn't what it was, I guess. Oh wait - neither is everything else..

Oh man, I sold a mono version of that to raise money for my house downpayment in 2003 and got $421. It, too, was mint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...