Ebay craziness

Alfred

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from item description of an LP this guy is selling;

...record has a lot of surface scratches that have been smoothed over with a buffer.....

E-bay, always good for a laugh.

Let me guess, then he finished them with a little light sanding... :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Serenade to a Soul Sister

You can have my copy for $50.  :D LMAO

Note on the seller - Atomic Records [out of LA, if I remember correctly].

They grossly misrepresented the condition of a pricey record I bought from them on eBay and I had a tough time getting a refund. It took a good month. Maybe I just wasn't lucky...

I bought one item from him, but I forget what it was. I remember his grading being a bit too positive, but I took that into account when bidding. I knock most sellers grading down a notch just in case. Then when I get an actual mint record, that was graded as such, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I bought from Atomic years ago (a Mosaic Mingus on Candid, IIRC), and they gave me a really hard time when I wanted to use an electronic check (this was in the days before Paypal was so widespread). The payment was fine, but due to some bank screwup it was delayed a day or two and they got really annoyed. Left a bad taste in my mouth, I remember.

Another knock on Atomic: at one time I was bidding on and buying records from them regularly. A Jimmy Smith B.N. had a bad skip - they really got uptight and took way too long to refund it, even going so far as to "block" me from bidding on their auctions for a few days! Needless to say, they lost a good customer. Still, they do list some great records (with high reserves). <_<

Another knock on Atomic: at one time I was bidding on and buying records from them regularly. A Jimmy Smith B.N. had a bad skip - they really got uptight and took way too long to refund it, even going so far as to "block" me from bidding on their auctions for a few days! Needless to say, they lost a good customer. Still, they do list some great records (with high reserves). <_<

I used to buy from Atomic, but I had a bad experience too. I bought a Turrentine LP from them; turned out it didn't have the original inner sleeve. You had to be a Philadelphia lawyer to scrutinize their description and figure that out (I do read the descriptions carefully, but they committed the sin of, er, "omission," so to speak. I wrote them a polite letter of complaint, they got really pissy and put me on their "banned" list. Kind of weird really. Must be a pretty big list by now! Their arrogance was really obvious in their communications. No great loss not dealing with them. There are more pleasant and forthright dealers to whom to give my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Stick Up

LMAO....What a dumb-ass. Last 2 mint copies I got off Ebay were each under $20.

Some people can't control themselves in an auction setting. It becomes a matter to them of getting the object at any cost, or more precisely, not letting the other guy get it. The bidding is ego-driven. If you can your cool, you can often get the same item at a decent price; if not on one auction, then the next.

$168.05 MILES DAVIS COMPLETE BLACKHAWK SESSIONS 6 LP's MOSAIC $108

$202.50 MILES DAVIS COMPLETE BITCHES BREW SESS. 6 LP's MOSAIC $108

$147.50 MILES DAVIS COMPLETE IN A SILENT WAY SESS. 5 LPs MOSAIC $90

Causes me pain to see this occur. :D

Who wants to e-mail them and let him know the good news? Not me.

I contacted the guy who won the Blackhawk, and he said 'thanks' and was trying to figure out how to retract his bid. I guess he did not figure it out in time. :excited:

• 2 weeks later...