Ebay craziness

Alfred

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the current vinyl hype. I think the number of people interested in rare records must have doubled in the last year. The prices for classic second hand turntables (Thorens, Dual) have also increased a lot since I bought mine a year ago.

It has become extremely difficult to find records in mint quality for the price that's indicated in the Goldmine catalog.

Haven't you noticed that all the music and audio magazines, which declared vinyl dead ten years ago, are discussing LP reissues and turntables again? LPs are now considered again as the "real thing" (although many reissues are made from digital masters and sound no better than CDs).

Vinyl is trendy again, used in ads and lifestyle magazines. That means that the demand for LPs is rising, and so are the prices. Many second hand stores, which have kept their dusted LP stocks in the back room because they didn't sell, are displaying them again, and many people are ready to pay "new" prices for used LPs (8-12 Euro)

If you have an old turntable or LPs to sell, it's now the best time to do it. For those who were used to get LPs for next to nothing, times will be harder. But of course this could only be a temporary trend.

Edited by Claude

I've recently rediscovered my vinyl collection and been adding to it at some speed. I can vouch for what you say about prices . A good second hand store near me charges £10-15 for basic stuff (nothing rare). This strikes me as pretty expensive.

Most of the stuff I've picked up though has been bargain basement stuff

( generally in good enough condition). I generally look for stuff that isnt likely to be on CD anytime soon and appeals to me. It's been a great way to hear some great things really for very little money.

I wasn't aware that my activities were part of up swing in vinyl's popularity. Perhaps we will see new releases coming out on vinyl?

Many pop albums are now released on LP again, but with the low sales of jazz albums this would not be viable. So you are limited to Norah Jones, Diana Krall etc.

There are also more audiophile LP reissues of jazz classics (Riverside, Prestige, Blue Note, RCA) available, but they can be very expensive ($30-50).

Haven't you noticed that all the music and audio magazines, which declared vinyl dead ten years ago, are discussing LP reissues and turntables again? LPs are now considered again as the "real thing" (although many reissues are made from digital masters and sound no better than CDs).

In Paris, the large music stores (FNAC, Virgin, etc.) which could not get rid fast enough of their vinyl racks more than ten years ago have reopened space for fresh vinyls lately. Lots of BN, OJC, Byg/Actuel LPs in those racks.

With regard to the Hubbard album, what I find shocking is that this one didn't even reach it's reserve !! I wonder what that could have been - $500 perhaps? Admittedly this is a nice copy of the deep-groove original but still a crazy price. Or maybe it's just little-ol' cheapskate me? :blink:

• 1 month later...

From the picture and description I don't see how the seller of the Mobley can call the cover NM-. Wouldn't the disclosed seam split alone make it VG+ at best? Those corners don't look too good either. Now I am not generally that fussy but for $2,000 + I expect NM- to be almost perfect.

From the picture and description I don't see how the seller of the Mobley can call the cover NM-. Wouldn't the disclosed seam split alone make it VG+ at best? Those corners don't look too good either. Now I am not generally that fussy but for $2,000 + I expect NM- to be almost perfect.

i was thinking same thing. The back is stained , too. Be real surprised if anyone bids his minimum.