Ebay craziness

Alfred

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how many of these New York pressing made it to Europe. Did people carry their collections overseas, or order from the States, or were early American (especially New York) pressing Blue Notes carried in European shops as a matter of course?

Interesting how many of these New York pressing made it to Europe. Did people carry their collections overseas, or order from the States, or were early American (especially New York) pressing Blue Notes carried in European shops as a matter of course?

AFAIK US military presence played an important role in getting american vinyl across the seas.

I'm not sure but I think that "early" Blue Note's were only pressed in the States. The only european pressing I own is a german blue/white Liberty pressing. Art Blakey/Roots and herbs.

I'm not sure but I think that "early" Blue Note's were only pressed in the States. The only european pressing I own is a german blue/white Liberty pressing. Art Blakey/Roots and herbs.

Yes, exactly my point. I thought that the records would have to come from the States. The idea of American servicemen being the "colporteurs" is an interesting one. I wonder what was the extent of BN's foreign sales? I've not seen this aspect discussed before.

Also, I was wondering if some BNs might have been French or English issues. Don't know when they started being pressed in Europe. Does anyone know about that? When did Pathe Marconi start producing BN titles in France? I don't know which English company handled BNs; anyone know about that? Sorry, so many questions, so few answers. :unsure:

Ebay is always amusing; I avoid it anymore...

That Three Sounds is pretty uncommon, but really, if you have one you have them all. I don't understand why that Hutch broke the bank though -- I mean, a mono copy is very hard to find, but a Stereo Liberty? I think I paid about $10!

The comedy quotient never ends!

I find it amazing how this guy record always sell for these INSANELY Prices!!! I walked in a shop inTokyo and they had this record for sale for 200,000 Yen which is around ~ 1700 USD, I bet you could have spotted this in Frnace for less then few pennies a few years back, I grabbed his rca debut when I lived in europe for not more then 5 USD hehe, but never dug him?!?!

I wonder if any of our French residents have this one collecting dust?

Wilen

Brownie?

I have never seen a copy of that Barney Wilen Guilde du Jazz LP.

Trust me, Apaman. NEVER. I know these early Wilens sell for a fortune in Japan.

If I remember well, the date was recorded in Paris for the US label Jazztone and was not supposed to be sold in France. Guilde du Jazz was the French counterpart of Jazztone. Wilen was under contract with the Vogue/Swing label at the time.

I got my copy when Fresh Sounds reissued the session.

I have several Wilen French originals from this era but they are not gathering dust!

If I remember well, the date was recorded in Paris for the US label Jazztone and was not supposed to be sold in France. Guilde du Jazz was the French counterpart of Jazztone.

My first instinct when I saw the photo of the labels was, "Hmm, this looks like a Jazztone label artwork." The same designer must've created the labels for this LP.

• 2 weeks later...

It's chastening to think that someday, it will be one of us whose estate puts our dearly loved vinyl up for sale! :(

Yep. And as heavy as these things are, they won't have any fun carrying them out of my place. Since various friends each want them, I guess I'll have to have a will or something...