Arnett Cobb - Welcome Back: A Love Letter to Houston

It's fantastic news but there's nothing specific about label or release date and even searching by this supposed early release of one track finds nothing.

If anyone finds more specific info in the coming months I hope they post. This is every bit as important - actually for me, more important - than the new Grant Green.

(Anyone else know of The Wild Man from Texas on Home Cooking Records? Released in 1989 but recorded in the early 70s, I presume also self-funded - it sounds like Arnett subbing for Fathead on Atlantic.)

https://www.discogs.com/Arnett-Cobb-The-Wild-Man-From-Texas/master/666979

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Any new Cobb is always welcome!

Well then my new purchase is welcome - Chubby Jackson 7 featuring Nat and Arnett. $11 shipped thru Amazon Marketplace. There's one more copy available.

Edited by Dan Gould

26 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Wasn’t Neidlinger lead bassist with the Houston Symphony at that point?

Maybe? I don't know, but that would explain that then!

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

(Anyone else know of The Wild Man from Texas on Home Cooking Records? Released in 1989 but recorded in the early 70s, I presume also self-funded - it sounds like Arnett subbing for Fathead on Atlantic.)

https://www.discogs.com/Arnett-Cobb-The-Wild-Man-From-Texas/master/666979

oh HELL yeah! That was a record that I kind of dreaded before listening, and fell in love with after the first note.

Do some google on "Home Cooking Records" and the names associated with it and the stories thereof. It gets pretty, uh...."interesting".

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Do some google on "Home Cooking Records" and the names associated with it and the stories thereof. It gets pretty, uh...."interesting".

Well I am very intrigued by this mention on oldies.com about Jimmy "T99" Nelson:

"From the mid-60s he worked outside the music business until he was recorded with Arnett Cobb’s band by Roy Ames in 1971 for Home Cooking Records." 

But there is zero mention of any such recording on discogs, and eBay and Amazon are empty too. Would definitely like to hear that one.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

From Clifford Allen's interview with Neidlinger:

AAJ: So you began studying with Cage and Crumb in the early ‘60s, is that correct? 

BN: Not exactly studied; I performed world premieres of their compositions, and I had a grant at this place in Buffalo called the Center for the Creative and Performing Arts, (or as it became known due to the incessant sexual activity of director Lukas Foss, the Center for the Creative and Performing ‘Acts’). And that’s how I met George Crumb, who was also a fellow in that program; he wrote music for me and that’s how I got involved with him. I’d already played two seasons in the Houston Symphony and I’d achieved my first symphony position. How that happened was that I got busted and lost my cabaret card, and couldn’t play [in New York clubs] anymore, so I moved to Providence, Rhode Island. I lived there for a while and got rid of my heroin habit, and I started playing with the resident rhythm section in a jazz club. The Boston Pops was going on tour, so I auditioned for [Arthur] Fiedler and he hired me for the tour. When we got to Houston, there was a bass opening in the symphony, I auditioned and got it.

I always played jazz, even when I was working in symphonies. When I was working in Houston I was with Arnett Cobb, I recorded with Little Esther Phillips, Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland and I played with James Clay.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

oh HELL yeah! That was a record that I kind of dreaded before listening, and fell in love with after the first note.

Didn't know about this. Ordered one from Discogs which ships from UK. Thanks for letting me know.

MG

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

1024x1024.jpg

On the door: Welcome back (Arnett?). I assume Arnett sat in the front seat for the parade and Clifton "King Bee" Smith, who appears to have been a DJ for Houston radio station KCOH back in the day, sat in the back seat with the Colt 45's public relations person? I wonder if this is the PR rep or Clifton Smith?

On 4/3/2018 at 5:44 AM, Dan Gould said:

It's fantastic news but there's nothing specific about label or release date and even searching by this supposed early release of one track finds nothing.

Yeah, I was googling fruitlessly after reading that, to no avail. The way the writer worded it:

"One of the new songs “Colt .45 Swinging” — which Cobb wrote for Houston’s then nascent baseball team — was made available this week to coincide with Major League Baseball’s opening day."

could mean any of several different things. He doesn't specifically say it was released, but that it was "made available". Maybe they let the Astros use it in conjunction with some of their opening day activities?

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Has anyone heard anything more definite about this release?

Just a day or two I googled the title and found nothing new. There's a facebook page for Arnett. I messaged them but nothing so far.  The page doesn't seem that active.  August is coming up fast so I hope this really is happening ...

You’ll probably only be able to get it at the conviinience stores that sell REALLY good boudinm, meaning that if you don’t know where that already is...something else, some other time.

For the record, I would be SOL, but just sayin’, Houston can have its ways sometimes.

I remember I saw Arnett Cobb once, it might have been in the 80´s and he was still playing very very strong. On that ocasion there it was a group with two other horns, one of them was Jimmy Ford, a quite obscure player who once played with the Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro band in 1948 (no recordings, but a foto exists). Both Cobb and Ford were great, but another really obscure trumpet player was  quite weak.

But I´m glad I saw Cobb life. Anyway he was still traveling very much in his late years....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok we're into July so I did another search and found this soundcloud account:

Right now the fifth track down is titled "Welcome Back" and is a two tenor cut.  Could this be the title track to this supposedly upcoming release? Any of the experts want to opine on whether the other tenor is Wilkerson?