Arnett Cobb - Welcome Back: A Love Letter to Houston

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Thank you, Paul, for finally there is some info:

Lizette and her son Shae have also unearthed a diamond of a previously unreleased recording from 1963 that Cobb made with some top jazz players of the day. The Cobbs planned to release the album this week for the saxophonist’s birthday, but some personal complications have pushed back the release a few months. 

• 7 months later...

I've been hounding the writer of the original piece about the status of the release. He still has no solid info but the scuttlebutt/rumor is that this was to be an independent release but after the initial publicity other companies may have stepped up to produce a wider-reaching better quality release.  But that's just rumor at this point.

Its kind of ridiculous that it was around spring training last year that the first report came out and the single was released for download.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:38 AM, Dan Gould said:

Well I am very intrigued by this mention on oldies.com about Jimmy "T99" Nelson:

"From the mid-60s he worked outside the music business until he was recorded with Arnett Cobb’s band by Roy Ames in 1971 for Home Cooking Records." 

But there is zero mention of any such recording on discogs, and eBay and Amazon are empty too. Would definitely like to hear that one.

The things you find thru Discogs and in the stacks. Turns out Home Cooking Records put out an LP, which lists Jimmy Nelson. And of course I already had it. The liners mention that the Nelson tracks (only two) are with Arnett's band. Since it says Unissued Masters I guess these are the only tracks ever issued from that session.

blues as big as texas.JPG

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Any News? August came and went, and another August is coming up pretty soon ...

Since December I have kept in contact with the author of the article but to date he has heard nothing direct from the family about firm plans to finally release. Supposedly a family member in direct charge had been ill and most recently he said there are whispers about not putting it out independently but thru more traditional means and that is a new hang up.  I actually just emailed him again as I realize its been two months since our last exchange. I'll let everyone know if there is something new to report.

3 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Thanks @Dan Gould  :tup

No problem @King Ubu, and if I am not mistaken I just generated two notices for you - one that I quoted you and another that I mentioned you. Had no idea now that if you use @King Ubu or any other user name you generate a notification. Oops now that's three. Somebody STOP ME. :g

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

No problem @King Ubu, and if I am not mistaken I just generated two notices for you - one that I quoted you and another that I mentioned you. Had no idea now that if you use @King Ubu or any other user name you generate a notification. Oops now that's three. Somebody STOP ME. :g

The notification using the @-sign didn't work - it only works if/when you pick the username from the list that will load while typing (for some reasons, that list will not always load). It's convenient in cases where you don't have a post to quote (or don't want to quote).