Someone mentioned this book online that concerned the Lexington KY prison for drug offenders nicknamed 'Narco', where most jazz junkies wound up if they got busted in the years 1935-1976.

The very partial list of musicians that wound up in Narco mentioned in the book were: 

Tadd Dameron, Sonny Stitt, Joe Guy, Elvin Jones, Chet Baker, Stan Levey, Jackie McLean, Red Rodney and Sonny Rollins.

In the short chapter on the prison band, it's mentioned that many of them wound up there because of fellow musician informants trying to avoid arrest by turning them in.

The institution soon developed a reputation as a 'workshop' for jazz musicians. Young musicians were turning themselves into the notorious institution merely for the opportunity to sit in with the masters(!). This was shown on screen in the opening scene of 'The Man With the Golden Arm', where Frank Sinatra tells his friends how he got training as a jazz drummer there (unfortunately we learn later in the film that he was no Shelly Manne).

The inmates were given sericeable instruments, practice rooms, and an audience of 1300 incarcerated addicts in the huge auditorium where they produced their own performances featuring combos and big bands. At one time there were six different combos performing at the institution. Even hip locals were let in to hear big-city jazz right at home in KY.

Byron Romanowitz, a local Lexington musician recalled, "The first time I went there I heard Tadd dameron, Joe Guy and Sonny Stitt, and many others. Their big band was an all-star group, there's no question about it."

Unfortunately, there were no recordings of the many bands that played at these shows, although an orchestra from Narco performed on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show in 1964. Sadly, the tapes from this broadcast were accidentally erased  decades ago...

I found a short silent film that features a few seconds of a show from Narco, but I don't know the rules for posting links on this forum. If the link doesn't post, you can find it on you tube under 'Narcotic Farm, part four:

BBC Radio did an interesting programme a while back on this place, which did include some location recordings. There is this snippet of vocalese - King Pleasure?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04xwvpn

Programme here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/XLSVPPHVx5T5P41SGs7LTP/i-grew-up-on-a-narcotics-farm

Edited by sidewinder

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

The few times I've been to/through Lexington, it's blown my mind that this was the place they chose to do that. What's the history about that?

"Lexington KY's temperate climate, fertile soil, and picturesque location were key factors in its selection as the site for the first for the first Narcotic Farm. The massive building-which covered twelve acres- was able to confine and rehabilitate up to 1500 inmates."

They built one in Ft. Worth three years later.

Wow. I wonder if that's the place waaaaaaayyyyy outside of town that is now some sort of "facility" for mentally gone alcoholics. I did a trust fund gig out there once and it creeped the shit out of me, really. I hope it no longer exists, or at least I hope there's some less creepy place for those people now.

As for Lexington, what a difference time makes. I don't think of fertile soil or picturesque location now

Nope, that palce in FW was not this: https://medium.com/save-texas-history/things-that-make-you-go-hmmm-texass-narcotic-farm-79b44668358e

If it's uninhabited, that creepy place outside FW sounds ideal for a found-footage horror flick. We could work in the Narco aspect; have a few ghosts of guys like Tadd Dameron, Joe Guy, Stitt, etc... haunting the place. Have some young jazz musicians just out of N.Texas State going on a road trip with their busty Dallas Cowboy cheerleader girlfriends; car breaks down; forced to spend the night in the creepy place. Tadd Dameron's ghost promises the kids some EDM tunes he's been writing in the afterlife, winds up killing them all, but the cops find one of the kids' iphone...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Oh, the joke would be on them, fake orgasms and "lab band" are virtually synonymous!

The plot line of having decent young people hanging

On 4/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, sgcim said:

If it's uninhabited, that creepy place outside FW sounds ideal for a found-footage horror flick. We could work in the Narco aspect; have a few ghosts of guys like Tadd Dameron, Joe Guy, Stitt, etc... haunting the place. Have some young jazz musicians just out of N.Texas State going on a road trip with their busty Dallas Cowboy cheerleader girlfriends; car breaks down; forced to spend the night in the creepy place. Tadd Dameron's ghost promises the kids some EDM tunes he's been writing in the afterlife, winds up killing them all, but the cops find one of the kids' iphone...

Even for seasoned horror movie viewers, the plot element of hanging out with earnest young Kenton acolytes might simply be too terrifying

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, sgcim said:

The kids would have to know who Tadd Dameron was. Not very likely these days....