The Haig

JamesAHarrod

I have resumed my examination of Los Angeles jazz clubs from the 1950s. My current subject is The Haig. Interested members can view the first and second installments at:

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-haig.html

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-haig-part-two.html

Edited by JamesAHarrod
Additional url.

Various sources have reported that The Haig seated a maximum of 85 people including those standing at the bar. When Dick Bank was researching The Haig for his Bud Shank production, After You, Jeru, he visited the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety to look at the planning files for 638 South Kenmore. The four room bungalow was moved to that location around 1932 where it was converted to a cocktail lounge.

Fresh Sound issued the Wardell Gray session, and other sessions have appeared on Japanese CDs over the years, some with wrong dates, etc.

Back when Bob Andrews was actively leasing his recordings the emphasis was on sales appeal, would there be enough collectors interested in the material to justify the cost of making it available. How many people had even heard of Willie Hawkins, the blind pianist from Detroit?

Hi,

My mom used to go to the Haig in the 50s.  She passed last year though.

I'm working on a documentary on Big Jay McNeely, and although you are looking at jazz and not R&B, if you happen find any relevant materials regarding him or R & B places in LA in the 50s or 60s, please let me know.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Adam

15 minutes ago, JamesAHarrod said:

Big Jay McNeely did play at the Tiffany Club in the 1950s. Check out Bob Willoughby's Jazz In LA.

You're talking about the huuuuge photo book/folio published by Nieswand in the 90s?

9 hours ago, Adam said:

Hi,

My mom used to go to the Haig in the 50s.  She passed last year though.

I'm working on a documentary on Big Jay McNeely, and although you are looking at jazz and not R&B, if you happen find any relevant materials regarding him or R & B places in LA in the 50s or 60s, please let me know.

FWIW, "Nervous Man Nervous", Jim Dawson's biography of Big Jay McNeely, does not list the Haig club in the index of the book (other clubs are listed, though, so this may be an indication that the Haig did not play a (major?) role in his stage appearances).

As for R&B places (and action ...) in LA in the 50s, did you check the liner notes of the Jijmmy Wright (aka Jimmy Wrieght on some releases) "Let's Go Crazy Crazy Baby" LP on Saxophonograph BM-1301? Amazing! (I suppose you have all the Big Jay McNeely LPs on the Mr. R&B labels (Saxophonograph etc.) and therefore are familiar with THOSE liner notes)

Peter Pullman, in his "Wail - The Life of Bud Powell" has several pages on Bud's gig at the Haig in 1954. Sidemen were Curtis Counce and Chuck Thompson. The contract was originally for "at least 6 weeks" but was terminated during the second week due to Bud's drinking and weird behavior. Crowds were initially good ...

Q

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 10:08 AM, Quasimado said:

Peter Pullman, in his "Wail - The Life of Bud Powell" has several pages on Bud's gig at the Haig in 1954. Sidemen were Curtis Counce and Chuck Thompson. The contract was originally for "at least 6 weeks" but was terminated during the second week due to Bud's drinking and weird behavior. Crowds were initially good ...

Q

It´s a pity that it happened in 1954. That year was the absolute nadir of Bud´s career.

Didn´t Bird also play at the Haig ? I think I remember from the book "To Bird with Love" some angry letters from club owners, maybe the Haig, torwards the union, complaining about erratic performances.......

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s a pity that it happened in 1954. That year was the absolute nadir of Bud´s career.

Didn´t Bird also play at the Haig ? I think I remember from the book "To Bird with Love" some angry letters from club owners, maybe the Haig, torwards the union, complaining about erratic performances.......

I had a quick look through Ken Vail's "Bird's Diary" (no index) but couldn't find any reference. If it did happen I'm sure James will cover it in his 1954 installment (which I unintentionally preempted - sorry James) ... Q