Musicraft

gmonahan

13 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Seven, actually. They also included an unissued tune: "I Would Do Anything For You".

Re- Mel Tormé, his Musicraft sides were reissued on the reactivated Musicraft label of the early 80s on 4 LPs: MVS-508, MVS-510, MVS-2000 and MVS-2005 in adition to the sides with Artie Shaw (MVS-503 and MVS-507). The sides with Artie Shaw had been reissued before (e.g. on Everest, according to Discogs)

Right--forgot that seventh tune. Too bad the Torme stuff hasn't been issued on cd, though I do wonder just how much jazz content there is there. Mel was doing a lot of pop in those early days.

Didn't other people record for Guild besides Dizzy? I'm wondering if Musicraft (or anyone else) reissued other Guild things.

Of course, as Chuck writes, it's all in the vast Universal maw now. Hopefully not lost and gone forever!

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Didn't other people record for Guild besides Dizzy?

I have these 78's:

GUILD  102        Maurice Rocco - Begin the Beguine/St. Louis Blues

115        Gerald Clark - Man Smart - Woman Smarter/My Donkey Want Water

118        Cozy Cole - Dat’s Love/Stompin’ at the Savoy

119        Cozy Cole - Hallelujah/Through For the Night

124        Vivien Garry - Altitude/Relax Jack

130        Cozy Cole - Now’s the Time/Night Wind

1001      Dizzy Gillespie – Blue ‘N Boogie/Groovin’ High

1002      Dizzy Gillespie - Shaw 'Nuff/Lover Man (w/ Sarah Vaughan)

1003      Dizzy Gillespie - Salt Peanuts/Hot House

On 4/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, Brad said:

I should have looked it up before I posted :( 

The rule is 95 years.  Works created and copyrighted (that is, registered or published) prior to January 1, 1978, are protected for 95 years from the date the copyright was originally secured (95 years from the earlier of the registration or publication). The 95-year period is divided into an initial term of 28 years and a renewal term of 67 years.1 Works created prior to January 1, 1978, that were neither copyrighted nor fell into the public domain before that date are protected for the life of the author plus 70 years, provided (i) in no event shall the term of the copyright in such a work expire before December 31, 2002, and (ii) if such a work is published on or before December 31, 2002, the term of the copyright shall not expire before December 31, 2047.

Source: https://www.royaltyexchange.com/length-of-ownership-music

I haven't been able to figure out how they came up with 2047 for recorded works.  My (perhaps incorrect) understanding is that films made in 1923 became pd this year and on January 1, 2019 films made in 1924 go pd but no sound recording that isn't already pd will become so until 2047 at which point I presume everything recorded before 1952 is free game. .  (I doubt that many "authors" involved will not have been dead for less that 75 years.)  Anyone here know anything about this?

Edited by medjuck

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

I haven't been able to figure out how they came up with 2047 for recorded works.  My (perhaps incorrect) understanding is that films made in 1923 became pd this year and on January 1, 2019 films made in 1924 go pd but no sound recording that isn't already pd will become so until 2047 at which point I presume everything recorded before 1952 is free game. .  (I doubt that many "authors" involved will not have been dead for less that 75 years.)  Anyone here know anything about this?

All I know is that this debate is relatively irelevant on today's worldwide reissue scene because according to EUROPEAN P.D. laws all of these recordings ARE P.D. When they changed the law (at the lobbying of Messrs. McCartney and Cliff Richard) in 2012 all those recordings that had already been P.D. according to the PREVIOUS 50-year rule REMAIN P.D. because the new, longer protection period will not apply retroactively. I.e. whatever was in the P.D. at the time the new law became applicatle will remain so. And since Musicraft weas LONG gone by 1962 ... ;)

So it all depends on whether a European P.D. company will jump on the reissue bandwagon in this field. Not very many candidates, though. The only European reissue label I can imagine maybe doing a somewhat systematic reissue of labels like this one day is Acrobat (U.K.). They have done a 2-CD set on the Melodisc label and have also covered Atlas and Macy's (focusing on R&B) and an artist CD (with 78s from various indie labels) of Peppy Prince ("who??") that would take some dedication for a label to see through. Blue Moon (from the Fresh Sound stable) also covers those years, but this label is more geared towards R&B. Don't see if they will branch out into jazz, and I am not sure if theF.S. Cool 'n Blue subsidiary is reissuing new things.

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Didn't other people record for Guild besides Dizzy?

Following the other posts, I just checked my 78s (I knew I had a Guild by Maurice Rocco - it's Begin the Beguine) I not only found I also have Musicraft 368 by Maurice Rocco. Next door in alphabetical order sat the one below that seems to be missing from the discography on 45worlds.com:

32373397bx.jpg

32373398hq.jpg

It's not even on Discogs. But Discogs shows another Musicraft release by her (15027).

Her overall leader discography probably is slim (Jepsen has no entry) but I'd say she deserves some reissue of her leader tracks too . The only "reissue" of her that I am aware of is a One Night Stand LP (Joyce) with airshots of the big band she briefly led in the 40s

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

All I know is that this debate is relatively irelevant on today's worldwide reissue scene because according to EUROPEAN P.D. laws all of these recordings ARE P.D. When they changed the law (at the lobbying of Messrs. McCartney and Cliff Richard) in 2012 all those recordings that had already been P.D. according to the PREVIOUS 50-year rule REMAIN P.D. because the new, longer protection period will not apply retroactively. I.e. whatever was in the P.D. at the time the new law became applicatle will remain so. And since Musicraft weas LONG gone by 1962 ... ;)

So it all depends on whether a European P.D. company will jump on the reissue bandwagon in this field. Not very many candidates, though. The only European reissue label I can imagine maybe doing a somewhat systematic reissue of labels like this one day is Acrobat (U.K.). They have done a 2-CD set on the Melodisc label and have also covered Atlas and Macy's (focusing on R&B) and an artist CD (with 78s from various indie labels) of Peppy Prince ("who??") that would take some dedication for a label to see through. Blue Moon (from the Fresh Sound stable) also covers those years, but this label is more geared towards R&B. Don't see if they will branch out into jazz, and I am not sure if theF.S. Cool 'n Blue subsidiary is reissuing new things.

It may be irrelevant for European companies but not so for US companies. For example, if Apple Music wanted to add some of these (unlikely, I know), they'd still need to hunt down the rights holders. 

32 minutes ago, Brad said:

It may be irrelevant for European companies but not so for US companies. For example, if Apple Music wanted to add some of these (unlikely, I know), they'd still need to hunt down the rights holders. 

Agreed about download providers. What I was referring to was the reissuers of tangible media (CDs or - unlikely too - vinyl) since CDs crop up at sales outlets (online or shops) worldwide today anyway, regardless of whether they are "supposed" to be there or not (as has often been seen in the past). ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

19 hours ago, Brad said:

I found this Guild Discography on line. 

http://www.78discography.com/Guild.htm

Thanks for posting this! I checked, and it looks like the Cozy Cole sides were reissued on Classics:

Cozy Cole.jpg

Edit to add that the Raeburn Guild material was apparently reissued by the reborn Musicraft label:

Raeburn.jpg

Edited by gmonahan
revision