Nathan Davis Has Died

DMP

Wasn´t he the official "leader" of the Paris Reunion Band ? Must have been a gas that band, never heard them. They were booked for a 3 days festival in the mid 80´s but I had only tickets for the first two days so I missed their show.

Wasn´t it Nathan Davis as the leader, Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece, Johnny Griffin, and at least on the first gigs even Kenny Clarke ? This must have been an allstar band and I don´t know why there are no records, something like that might be historic, unique......

What's the source? Not doubting, just asking ...

Never a personal favourite that spoke to me directly, but he has made a handful or really nice records ... the twofer that reissued his two Saba/MPS albums in the nineties was the first I heard (and one of my first encounters with Woody Shaw, certainly my first encounter with Carmell Jones).

This here is probably my favourite album of his (followed by "Rules of Freedom" ... but I think I actually never heard "If", and don't really have a decent copy of the Domicile rekkid, which is mighty good, too):

R-6784072-1465050573-8173.jpeg.jpg

Regarding the Paris Reunion Band, this seems to be their earliest album (1985) and it feauteres all of the guys (Reece, Shaw, Slide Hampton, Griffin, Kenny Drew, Jimmy Woode and Billy Brooks - who's on one of the MPS albums already):

R-6494703-1473505473-9965.jpeg.jpg

15 minutes ago, king ubu said:

What's the source? Not doubting, just asking ...

From his Facebook.

"We are deeply saddened about the passing of saxophonist Nathan Davis. He was an invaluable director and faculty member of Ravinia's Steans Music Institute's Program for Jazz. We will honor Nathan's memory with a performance of his original work "Matryoshka Blues" on June 9. Rest in peace."

R.I.P. Nathan Davis.

Somebody should reissue Davis' two LPs originally released on Segué: Makatuka and 6th Sense in the 11th House.  Dusty Groove maybe?  

The latter LP features an all-star rhythm section: Sir Roland Hanna, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson.  From what I can gather, the former LP features local musicians from Pittsburgh, where Davis was teaching at the time. Both albums are worth investigating, imho.

Here's a sample:

Edited by HutchFan

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Somebody should reissue Davis' two LPs originally released on Segué: Makatuka and 6th Sense in the 11th House.  Dusty Groove maybe?  

The latter LP features an all-star rhythm section: Sir Roland Hanna, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson.  From what I can gather, the former LP features local musicians from Pittsburgh, where Davis was teaching at the time. Both albums are worth investigating, imho.

Here's a sample:

Makatuka has been reissued on vinyl recently. I have a copy somewhere! No idea if it’s a legitimate reissue.