Reckless Records

Anyone familiar with quality and condition of the used CDs sold at this shop. I see a set they have for sale on-line. I called the shop in Chicago to inquire about condition of the discs and was told that CDs are not graded but are returnable if “not playable” 

My question is: are the used discs they sell pristine mint copies? 

Thanks 

Bob

I have gone nuts buying used CDs from Reckless on rare trips to Chicago and have ordered online many times from them.  I have bought two items from them that were defective, but it wasn't an issue returning them.  One faulty disc was one of about 40 I bought and they refunded my card with a quick phone call.  The other was an online order for an Art Blakey Mosaic.  I had listened to it once and then found out two months later that my new stereo didn't like one of the discs. Despite a significant amount of time having passed, they still refunded me promptly when I sent the set back.

To sum up, I have had hardly any issues with defective discs and their customer service was excellent.  If I were you, I'd order the set.

I've only ordered vinyl from them and have been satisfied with grading and customer service. The only anomaly I had was a copy of Blue Train that was listed as a 60's stereo press but in fact was a 70's processed stereo release. I emailed them about the discrepancy and they told me to keep it and promptly refunded my card.

I bought a few Selects online from them over the past year, and they were in very good condition, though I would certainly not say "pristine mint".    I used to go to the loop store a lot when I was traveling to Chicago regularly, and the used stuff runs the gamut of quality, like most other stores that sell second hand CDs.  Not a problem for me, but if you are looking for mint and/or paying a decent amount I would try to get more detail than what is on the website.   I can't comment on vinyl, never bought any from them. 

Edited by bluesoul

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and bought a huge number of cds from them in that time. I felt that they were the most reliable shop in terms of cd condition - if I was forced to buy from anyone sight unseen then I wouldn't have hesitated to pick Reckless. As bluesoul says, not always mint but during that period more often than not. In fact, my guess was that in that period (2010-12) that they were resurfacing the cds. I ordered some cds from them online last year where that didn't seem to have been the case, so it is possible that they have stopped doing this.