What vinyl did you scratch last?

Hardbopjazz

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Given its cost I'd hope that Ortofon could play across the Grand Canyon...

I guess you haven't shopped cartridges in a while. The Ortofon 2M line is pretty affordable in this realm. Sort these cartridges on price from high to low: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/phono-cartridges/?category=Phono%2520Cartridges&sort=sitePrice%7CDESC&page=4&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid.

The Ortofon 2M Black shows up on page 4 out of 7 pages so almost half of the cartridges they sell are more expensive than the Ortofon 2M Black. :)

And if it means anything, I have 2 Ortofon 2M Black cartridges. Both were bought used for less than $400.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

We keep people around as they age and wrinkle. They show character and kindle memories, they keep the past alive while being in the present and going into the future.

I'll do the same with a record, unless the record's an onerous asshole. In that case, fuck that record.

I have some very battered Charlie Parker 78s . They became worn and scratched through constant playing  , replaying and analysis by a group of early British boppers which included Ronnie Scott, Ralph Sharron and Pete Chilver from whom the discs were indirectly purchased. This history gives great satisfaction which more than makes up for their deficiencies.

36 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I have some very battered Charlie Parker 78s . They became worn and scratched through constant playing  , replaying and analysis by a group of early British boppers which included Ronnie Scott, Ralph Sharron and Pete Chilver from whom the discs were indirectly purchased. This history gives great satisfaction which more than makes up for their deficiencies.

That's cool.

My cat shows zero interest in the turntable or the records; she's a big girl, so could tear the whole thing down if she wanted to!

4 hours ago, Clunky said:

Possibly acquired via Scott (or the others) 1940s stint with ‘Geraldo’s Navy’? If so - of historical significance as that was one of the main conduits through which bop was channelled to the UK !

Edited by sidewinder

48 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Possibly acquired via Scott (or the others) 1940s stint with ‘Geraldo’s Navy’? If so - of historical significance as that was one of the main conduits through which bop was channelled to the UK !

These were mainly Savoy recordings licensed to Melodisc UK , a couple of Dials and a Bel-tone were of US origin. Needless to say I’ve nothing to prove their provinace but the story is enough for me. 

I generally manage to look after my vinyl ok. I did manage to wreck a Keith Jarrett ECM LP when I cleaned it in my RCM. Evidently there was a small piece of debris on the cleaning brushes which scored the vinyl as it rotated. I kicked myself and should have been upset but then figured .........it's only a KJ record......and I'm not exactly wild about his stylings...

I was concerned however,  when I dropped this Willis Jackson LP because its very fine, Damage was minimal - luckily !!

R-1714367-1238700097.jpeg.jpg

7 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Nice session.

All the Gator Muse albums are excellent. Unless there's some new stuff, though, I've got it all.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I didn't think Gator is really your stuff, Chuck. Were you more interested in Rudy and the production process?

MG

I was there to book some studio time for a Roscoe Mitchell project, On the other hand, I do have 15 Gator cds.

• 2 weeks later...