Alan Braufman "Valley of Search" Reissue

clifford_thornton

So pleased to have been involved in writing the notes for the forthcoming reissue of one of my favorite jazz LPs from the '70s, Alan Braufman's Valley of Search! Out in late June, this is the first-ever authorized LP/digital reissue, featuring Cooper-Moore (then known as Gene Ashton), Cecil McBee, David Lee Jr., and Yohuru Ralph Williams. Available direct from Valley of Search or where better records are sold. 

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

So pleased to have been involved in writing the notes for the forthcoming reissue of one of my favorite jazz LPs from the '70s, Alan Braufman's Valley of Search! Out in late June, this is the first-ever authorized LP/digital reissue, featuring Cooper-Moore (then known as Gene Ashton), Cecil McBee, David Lee Jr., and Yohuru Ralph Williams. Available direct from Valley of Search or where better records are sold. 

Sounds intriguing. Any idea if there will be UK distribution?

21 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

The label that is reissuing it is run by a guy who works for 4AD, so I assume so.

4AD, the same label as of old? Haven't thought of them since my Cocteau Twins days which are far too long ago now ....

22 minutes ago, Clunky said:

It’s THE question as without some form of distribution here the reissue might as well be from Mars

Or the Squidco option

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

4AD, the same label as of old? Haven't thought of them since my Cocteau Twins days which are far too long ago now ....

Not to forget the Pixies and Dead Can Dance. Those were the (university) days....

Thanks for the heads-up, Clifford. You are involved in some very interesting reissue projects.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

David Lee still lives in New Orleans but has significant mental health issues.

I thought I had heard something along those lines but wasn't sure. So sorry to hear that. A the end of the day, he might be my favorite Sonny Rollins drummer, period. And I don't say that lightly.

Yeah, he's really something. It's too bad. This record certainly adds to his discographical heft. 

I have confirmation that it will be distributed overseas by Light in the Attic, and that a PDF of the liners will be included in the Bandcamp digital release.

15 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Clifford. You are involved in some very interesting reissue projects.

You're welcome -- thank YOU.

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Correct. No CDs.

4AD still exists and releases new rock music; they are part of the Beggars Banquet/Matador umbrella, and I presume this record will be able to tag along just fine.

Unfortunately prolongues the sad track record of Indi Navigation material not receiving a proper CD reissue .... nevertheless kudos for your work within this project ....

Edited by soulpope

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that the jazz CD market is still pretty strong; however, a lot of young labels don't recognize this and are trying to capitalize on a younger, vinyl/digital sales market. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do understand it.

For what it is worth, the original master tapes cannot be located, and this has been mastered (well, I might add) from a mint vinyl copy.

7 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that the jazz CD market is still pretty strong; however, a lot of young labels don't recognize this and are trying to capitalize on a younger, vinyl/digital sales market. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do understand it.

Is the boldfaced statement definitely true?  What about different segments of the market - new materials and reissues of relatively esoteric material vs. "mass" reissues (popular BN titles, Davis-Coltrane reissues)?  If the audience for the former is younger than that for the latter..

I don't run a label so I can't tell you definitively -- and probably there is no definitive answer, hence "pretty strong," but I can tell you that the Phill Musra/Michael Cosmic 2CD set has done very well, especially in places like Japan. It was also released on LP, and some people buy both (one for car listening). That's definitely an esoteric set. 

yeah, there was, until Bob Cummins died. The rights have theoretically reverted to the artists themselves, though whether or not they've been informed of that is anyone's guess. Alan talked to Beth, Bob's widow, and was able to get this information. Other labels have taken on the Yoshi Wada, Phil Niblock, and Arnold Dreyblatt albums for reissue, but the jazz catalog hasn't been mined too far beyond some of the more obvious titles. Dennis Moorman, anybody?

25 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, there was, until Bob Cummins died. The rights have theoretically reverted to the artists themselves, though whether or not they've been informed of that is anyone's guess. Alan talked to Beth, Bob's widow, and was able to get this information. Other labels have taken on the Yoshi Wada, Phil Niblock, and Arnold Dreyblatt albums for reissue, but the jazz catalog hasn't been mined too far beyond some of the more obvious titles. Dennis Moorman, anybody?

Beth is Bob Cummins daughter.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Refresh my refreshment, please - there was an India Navigation CD reissue program at one point, was there not? By no means complete, but I know I've got a few things on CD, on that label.

There was a cd reissue program of some sort and I do have David Murray's Flowers for Albert on a 2cd set, but then later on I stupidly passed up the Pharoah disk a dozen years ago at an Exchange store in Pittsburgh because I thought it was too pricey for the condition it was in. Never saw it again.

Edited by Holy Ghost