Who's playing bass?

Hardbopjazz

It can´t be Paul Chambers, Chambers had a rounder face. Yeah John Ore. There ar not so many fotos around with him, saw him only on a foto when playing with Bud, and with Monk. 

And yes, when I saw the photo I also remembered it´s from Nica´s book "3 Wishes" ). And I remember I also had thought the trumpet player looks like Maggie, but the young Maggie in the 40´s with that smart look, because Maggie in the 60´s and the foto is from the 60´s, Howard McGhee in the 60´s didn´t look that well, low life had taken it´s toll, saw videos from the mid 60´s with some Charlie Parker memorial and he really looks worn out.

The "3 wishes" book is a strange book. Some of the guys really have fine answers, others ...... forget it. The worst is Lionel Hampton it doesn´t make sense at all, and the shortest and most ugly is that of Al Haig. It´s strange some of them where you think they are intelligent people they give silly answers, and others where you might think they are lost, they might give some astute answers. For example Bud Powell. During that time really erratic behaviour and disappearing and missing sets, but his answers on the question "3 wishes" are: 1) Not to have to go to a hospital again 2) to travel to Japan 3) to make a record......., none of the wishes came true

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

And yes, when I saw the photo I also remembered it´s from Nica´s book "3 Wishes" ). And I remember I also had thought the trumpet player looks like Maggie, but the young Maggie in the 40´s with that smart look, because Maggie in the 60´s and the foto is from the 60´s, Howard McGhee in the 60´s didn´t look that well, low life had taken it´s toll, saw videos from the mid 60´s with some Charlie Parker memorial and he really looks worn out.

Looks like Tolliver to me !  Definitely not Howard McGhee.

That McGhee video with the Bird tribute was from BBC ‘Jazz 625’ in 1964, I think. McGhee must have been just starting his comeback, after being away from the scene for some years. On the video there seems to be some verbal sparring going on with Sonny Stitt, wonder what the story was with that one. He plays very nicely though.

He also ran a mid-60s big band, I recall. Have an LP of that one on Hep (‘Cookin’ Time’).

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Tolliver?  Maybe, but I'm just not seeing it.

Also, when did Hank and Charles Tolliver ever cross paths? If they did, that'd certainly be news to me.

I was also surprised, but the pic is captioned "Ore, Mobley, Tolliver" on several web pages.

And from Tolliver's own site: "With a career that has spanned five decades he has recorded and/or performed with such renowned artists as Roy Haynes, Hank Mobley, Willie Bobo, Horace Silver, McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins, Booker Ervin, Gary Bartz, Gerald Wilson Orchestra, Oliver Nelson, Stanley Cowell, Herbie Hancock, Andrew Hill, Louis Hayes, Roy Ayers, Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, and owned the trumpet chair with the great Max Roach for some years."

19 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Tolliver?  Maybe, but I'm just not seeing it.

Also, when did Hank and Charles Tolliver ever cross paths? If they did, that'd certainly be news to me.

I remember listening to a podcast of Charles Tolliver in conversation, where he talked about Slugs saloon. He mentions that both he and Hank Mobley played there "a lot" (though not necessarily together), between 1962-65. But they did play together at Hank's house!

He mentions Mobley from 18.40, but I recommend listening to all of it! Mentions John Ore earlier as well.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/gilles-peterson/strata-east-charles-tolliver-in-conversation/

Edited by Marzz

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

And from Tolliver's own site: "With a career that has spanned five decades he has recorded and/or performed with such renowned artists as Roy Haynes, Hank Mobley, Willie Bobo, Horace Silver, McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins, Booker Ervin, Gary Bartz, Gerald Wilson Orchestra, Oliver Nelson, Stanley Cowell, Herbie Hancock, Andrew Hill, Louis Hayes, Roy Ayers, Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, and owned the trumpet chair with the great Max Roach for some years."

Other than Hank (obviously), I think I was aware of most of Tolliver's history with every name on this list from his website -- except for Sonny Rollins -?

Not disputing it, but when did Tolliver and Rollins work together?