Joey Baron

Milestones

I've been hearing Joey Baron for a long time and always liking his work, without necessarily thinking he's among the elite percussionists.  But at this point I'm thinking he is.  He sounds mighty creative to these ears, and his presence always raises the quality of a session.  

For those who like Masada, well there must be dozens of recordings.  I think he's on every John Abercrombie record of the 21st century (at least the ECM stuff).  He has appeared with a lot of my favorites--Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano, Jim Hall, Lee Konitz.  Some nice work as a leader too, where he has featured Frisell and Blythe.

A force to be reckoned with.

Your thoughts and recommendations....

Edited by Milestones

MI0004293863.jpg

He is also a member of the Gary Peacock Trio, which I understand is the kinda successor of the Keith Jarrett Trio (Marc Copeland on piano) - I know only this album from last year, but it's pretty good.

Not sure Baron really is among the top current drummers (Marcus Gilmore, Eric McPherson, Tyshawn Sorey, PNL, Mark Sanders, Steve Noble ... and most certainly Andrew Cyrille amongst the veterans, and I guess Louis Moholo on a good night, too), but I've always enjoyed his playing, that's for sure

I love the sound of his bass drum, and just the coloristic playing he creates, like on "Titok" by Ferenc Snetberger and "Live in Japan" by Enrico Pieranunzi.  The two Gary Peacock trio releases are terrific as well.  Communication wise I see the KJ connection, musically, not so much.  The Peacock trio is very ethereal and floating.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I like him in any context, but was floored by this one, just Baron and two horns, with a massive bass drum sound that really deserves to be named that way, contrary to the deafened kick drums heard everywhere. Plus, the music has a lot of humor. 

R-1067140-1288717933.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

On 4/19/2018 at 0:54 PM, soulpope said:

20cfdf6dc6.jpg

Likely worth a consideration ....

Dream Dance, by the same trio, is an excellent album.  I have only seen Baron twice live, on two consecutive nights at Birdland with Steve Kuhn and Buster Williams, and I was thoroughly impressed by his playing; I remember him playing with a big grin like he was having a great time, and that happy attitude came through in his drumming.  Steve Kuhn cheekily introduced him as Joe E. Baron. 

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, that looks very interesting. I got to know Robyn Schulkowski back in 1978 while working as a roadie for Peter Giger's Family of Percussion (Giger, Doug Hammond, Tom Nicholas, Trilok Gurtu), she attended a Bonn performance, was studying classical percussion in Cologne. She has come a long way ..... turned into a virtuoso classical avant garde percussionist.

Inspired by this thread, I picked up Short Stay by Danish bassist Morten Ramsbøl.  It is fun hearing Joey Baron in a group with organ, not to mention the combination of organ with upright bass (plus saxophone and guitar), which has seemingly become more uncommon in recent years.  I was unfamiliar with the European musicians on the album, but they more than hold their own and don't shrink in the company of Baron.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:50 AM, mikeweil said:

Oh, that looks very interesting. I got to know Robyn Schulkowski back in 1978 while working as a roadie for Peter Giger's Family of Percussion (Giger, Doug Hammond, Tom Nicholas, Trilok Gurtu), she attended a Bonn performance, was studying classical percussion in Cologne. She has come a long way ..... turned into a virtuoso classical avant garde percussionist.

Peter Giger is one of my early heroes growing up in Bern where he is from.

Latest Joey Baron i heard and dug

a0230868249_10.jpg