Elek Bacsik

Brad

Earlier this week Jazz Wax posted an article about Elek Bacsik, who was a Hungarian Gypsy jazz guitarist who is not well known today. He was the cousin of Django Reinhardt. 

See Elek Bacsik

Elek Bacsik Videos

Some of his stuff is pretty interesting, especially All Things You Are with Serge Gainsbourg. 

Edited by Brad

His name is somewhat familiar among Europeans interested in jazz of that period.

Two years ago I came across an original EP from his "The Electric Guitar of the Eclectic Elek Bacsik" LP at a French fleamarket and found it very interesting listening but a bit hard to pin down on what he set out to do, particularly since the comparison with the recordings of Django Reinhardt is inevitable.

Then, the other day I noticed a detailed review of this LP in the French "Jazz Magazine" (December 1962 issue) that may explain the impact it had on first-time listeners. The reviewers found him very promising and hoped for greater things in the future but perceived this initial LP (done at a late age of 36 years) as indulging in way too much ornamentation and florid, decorative effects . Apart from a very successful Opus De Funk they found the remaining nine tenths of his record rather to be bound to please fans of virtuosity and esthetic preciousness but not as something to establish him as breaking new ground among contemporary guitarists. They also saw him anxious to work his way out of the shadow of Django (whose influence he allegedly refused to acknowledge, though it seemed to weigh more heavily on him than that of his admitted influences Barney Kessel and Wes Montgomery).
(End of paraphrased quotations)

As for Bacsik being a cousin of Django, widespread family clan ties notwithstanding, what's up there? The French and German Wikipedia entries (contrary the the English one) do not mention anything like this (the French ought to have known anyway), and the Jazz Magazine reviewers refer to Bacsik as a "remote brother by race" of Django only.

Maybe his late start and (at that time) lack of orientation perceived by the reviewers also were a reflection of his personality at the time? Early in the 50s he had appeared with the Italian group led by Renato Carosone but was relatively soon let go on account of his "lack of reliability" - long before the group had its major chart successes, contrary to what the Wiki entries seem to imply.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

His name is somewhat familiar among Europeans interested in jazz of that period.

Two years ago I came across an original EP from his "The Electric Guitar of the Eclectic Elek Bacsik" LP at a French fleamarket and found it very interesting listening but a bit hard to pin down on what he set out to do, particularly since the comparison with the recordings of Django Reinhardt is inevitable.

Then, the other day I noticed a detailed review of this LP in the French "Jazz Magazine" (December 1962 issue) that may explain the impact it had on first-time listeners. The reviewers found him very promising and hoped for greater things in the future but perceived this initial LP (done at a late age of 36 years) as indulging in way too much ornamentation and florid, decorative effects . Apart from a very successful Opus De Funk they found the remaining nine tenths of his record rather to be bound to please fans of virtuosity and esthetic preciousness but not as something to establish him as breaking new ground among contemporary guitarists. They also saw him anxious to work his way out of the shadow of Django (whose influence he allegedly refused to acknowledge, though it seemed to weigh more heavily on him than that of his admitted influences Barney Kessel and Wes Montgomery).
(End of paraphrased quotations)

As for Bacsik being a cousin of Django, widespread family clan ties notwithstanding, what's up there? The French and German Wikipedia entries (contrary the the English one) do not mention anything like this (the French ought to have known anyway), and the Jazz Magazine reviewers refer to Bacsik as a "remote brother by race" of Django only.

Maybe his late start and (at that time) lack of orientation perceived by the reviewers also were a reflection of his personality at the time? Early in the 50s he had appeared with the Italian group led by Renato Carosone but was relatively soon let go on account of his "lack of reliability" - long before the group had its major chart successes, contrary to what the Wiki entries seem to imply.

Thanks for the original information.  Too bad he didn't progress farther musically.  

I found the Serge Gainsbourg videos interesting.  I had vaguely heard of him but never heard of him.  I will want to investigate him a little further. 

• 9 months later...
On 20/04/2018 at 9:12 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have this one. It is a nice one with all European musicians.51anzlJc2YL._AC_US218_.jpg

I also have it. And I would add to those not familiar with the JiP releases that they are very good.