Miles BB billionth reissue

RogerF

I think I probably know the answer to this question already but does anyone have any idea why Columbia / Sony released a digipak edition of BB last year (for the millionth time)? I saw it in a store on Saturday and it looked tempting despite the fact I already own two copies of BB. I can see there are 6 bonus tracks not on the original but can find no information or discussion anywhere about this reissue (other than eBay), even on Sony's website. I might buy it, but purely as an attractive artifact and "spare", handy for the car CD player. There I've been mugged again!

MILES DAVIS BITCHES BREW 2 CD DIGIPAK

Disc 1
1. Pharaoh's Dance
2. Bitches Brew
3. Spanish Key
4. John McLaughlin

Disc 2
1. Miles Runs the Voodoo Down
2. Sanctuary
3. Spanish Key [alternate take]
4. John McLaughlin [alternate take]
5. Miles Runs the Voodoo Down[45-rpm single edit]
6. Spanish Key [single]
7. Great Expectations [single]
8. Little Blue Frog [single]

Bitches_brew.jpg

Edited by RogerF
adding image

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, all US cd versions since the remix appeared but the one in the Complete Columbia Albums box set (and the vinyl in the 40th Anniversary set) are the remix. 

I have hardly listened to the remix since the Complete Columbia Albums box and then the MFSL Hybrid SACD appeared.

13 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Supposedly re-mixed from the original multi-tracks. Not a favorite of mine, so I am not that familiar with the differences, but they are supposedly obvious.

Very noticeable indeed.

24 minutes ago, felser said:

What is the net impact of the remix?  Are there different lengths to  the cuts?  Different instruments brought up or down in the  mix?  

Some of Teo Macero's effects could not be recreated. Other than that, the original mix is darker in atmosphere. The remix is very transparent and often mastered too loud for my taste. The 40th anniversary remaster of the remix is the best version of the remix imo, but pales in comparison to MFSL's Macero mix Hybrid SACD.

I don't have a turntable, so I have never been able to play the 40th anniversary original mix vinyl from the box set. Only slab of vinyl I own.

Edited by erwbol

Sorry for using your knowledge for personal purposes, but I imagined that some of you would know this (or have an informed opinion). I am on my way home from work and suddenly felt like listening to BB for the fist time since I can't remember when. I have the metal spine box and the original jackets 70 CD box. Which version should I listen to?

Edited by Daniel A

1 hour ago, felser said:

What is the net impact of the remix?  Are there different lengths to  the cuts?  Different instruments brought up or down in the  mix?  

If you want to hear the extremes of what is possible in re-mixing, listen to the original stereo mix of Sgt. Pepper's vs the re-mix that came out last year. To say the difference is night and day is an understatement. Pretty much everything was moved and panned in a completely different way so that it ended up having a truer stereo mix. 

Another incredibly subtle re-mix can be heard on the Legacy Edition of Kind of Blue where the piano was moved slightly to center from the hard left pan of the original mix. Chamber's bass was also moved slightly back and it sound like a more natural mix. 

44 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

If you want to hear the extremes of what is possible in re-mixing, listen to the original stereo mix of Sgt. Pepper's vs the re-mix that came out last year. To say the difference is night and day is an understatement. Pretty much everything was moved and panned in a completely different way so that it ended up having a truer stereo mix. 

Another incredibly subtle re-mix can be heard on the Legacy Edition of Kind of Blue where the piano was moved slightly to center from the hard left pan of the original mix. Chamber's bass was also moved slightly back and it sound like a more natural mix. 

I'll do that on the Sgt. Pepper's.  I bought the new one last year and thought it sounded fantastic, but did not A-B it against the original.  Of course,  they designed it in '67 to be heard in mono, so probably didn't' put as much into the stereo,

5 minutes ago, felser said:

I'll do that on the Sgt. Pepper's.  I bought the new one last year and thought it sounded fantastic, but did not A-B it against the original.  Of course,  they designed it in '67 to be heard in mono, so probably didn't' put as much into the stereo,

No, and The Beatles themselves were barely present for the stereo mix phase. Stereo was an afterthought back then, especially since stereo hadn't really caught on in England at the time. 

But, yeah. Just A->B the title track. You'll be shocked at how different they sound. I think I actually broke it down here once before. Let me see if I can find the post. 

*edit*

Here you go. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I thought I knew the White Album down to every last detail until I heard it in mono...come to find out, I did know the stereo version to that degree, but just the stereo version.

Bitches Brew, though, I lived with the LP for a long time before CDs were born, and Belden's re-do worked for me as "something different", but really...the Teo mixes for all these things should be the "reference versions", imo.

Oh, I bought the mono box just for reasons like this. Glad I did. When people say "there are differences", they're right, and for Pepper & TWA, they're actually things that are in one and not in the other. Plus, the earlier stuff just kicks better in mono, imo.