Herb Geller

Brad

Below is a very thorough discographical essay written by Noal Cohen that appeared in Jazz Profiles (thanks to the Jazz Gazette for mentioning the article) about Herb Geller’s musical life in Europe, where he lived from 1962 on.  I only have a handful of Geller’s recordings (all pre-1962) but always enjoyed his work. 

http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2018/02/herb-geller-career-retrospective-by.html?m=1

I regret to this day I haven't grasped one of the opportunities to attend one of his concerts here. He was present in many settings through the years, often as a featured "elder statesman of jazz" soloist. It would have been interesting seeing live (and not only through broadcasts) how he had evolved over time. My Herb Geller leader LPs are all early ones too and include his three EmArcys and the two Jubilees but of course I'd have liked to have them signed by him. 

I spoke briefly to Herb once at the interval during a performance in the 90s. He was charm personified and happy signed a few CDs. He recorded some decent sessions for Hep and there's a fine date on Freshsound with Kenny Drew. As far as I can tell he was a really solid player throughout a varied career 

I think Alex Riel overplays, but on the whole I don't think they are so insensitive that it hurts. Rob Franken has a few decent solos, and Hans-Lucas Lindholm is a basist that doesn't try to unnecessarily draw the attention towards himself.

What's more, the album has a general sound as no other recording I've heard. The woodwind/sax overdubs, the compositions and overall satisfying arrangements, Mark Murphy's singing and Geller's soloing make for an unique listening experience. 

Edited by Daniel A

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The woodwind/sax overdubs, the compositions and overall satisfying arrangements, Mark Murphy's singing and Geller's soloing make for an unique listening experience. 

I agree with you on all these points - I just couldn't bear that rhythm section.

Yes, they are actually doing a very nice Geller tune that is also on the aforementioned 'An American in Hamburg' album under a different title ("Stockenhagen", which was later to be "Space a la Mode").

The video is on YouTube, but split up in multiple parts.

Right in the beginning of this part you get a glimpse of who I believe is Evans's then girlfriend Ellaine, behind Geller. She died the following year.

Edited by Daniel A

On 4/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, Daniel A said:

I think Alex Riel overplays, but on the whole I don't think they are so insensitive that it hurts. Rob Franken has a few decent solos, and Hans-Lucas Lindholm is a basist that doesn't try to unnecessarily draw the attention towards himself.

What's more, the album has a general sound as no other recording I've heard. The woodwind/sax overdubs, the compositions and overall satisfying arrangements, Mark Murphy's singing and Geller's soloing make for an unique listening experience. 

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I agree with you on all these points - I just couldn't bear that rhythm section.

I agree, too. I don't mind Riel's drumming, either. I think it's a little different and fits with the unique feel of the album.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:56 AM, Clunky said:

and there's a fine date on Freshsound with Kenny Drew. As far as I can tell he was a really solid player throughout a varied career 

Thanks for the lead on that. Always love me some Kenny Drew so this was a no-brainer.

Geller made a couple of fine recordings in Sweden during the 70s with Swedish pianist Nils Lindberg. They're on the Bluebell label. Apparently Geller had the alto sound Lindberg had been looking for since Swedish altoist Rolf Billberg's passing in the mid-60s. Fist choice: Saxes Galore from 1979 (sax section plus rhythm including Red Mitchell on bass):

https://www.discogs.com/Nils-Lindberg-Saxes-Galore/release/6257770

Edited by Daniel A

Geller's strangest album was a musical he wrote about himself. It's got a Lenny Bruce routine in it, a song about Chet Baker, another one about Al Cohn(!), and another one about Bird.

There's a very strange song about fusion that starts off with some really loud, obnoxious sounding distorted guitar riff, and then some lyrics about the market place and music, and then he trades fours with his soprano and the distorted guitar.

Another song bemoans the fact that people don;t listen anymore to his 'favorite songs' written by Porter, Berlin, Jobim, etc... Some actress/singer plays his wife, Lorraine,  and he writes some other songs having to do with art ("something that must be done") and jazz. The music and his playing are good, but did i mention that it's strange...?