Five Bucks - Crime in the Streets by Franz Waxman

Varese Sarabande is having a spring cleaning sale:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/on-sale-1?page=1

For the folks who frequent this site, of particular note is Franz Waxman's Crime in the Streets, originally issued on a Decca LP.

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/on-sale-1/products/crime-in-the-streets

If you love the sound of nervous, Twilight Zone jazz as much as I, this is a must-have, and it is only five bucks!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Wow! I never heard Waxman write in this idiom. At one point he wrote a thing for accordion, harp and piano; you're not gonna hear that very often.

Too bad they don't have any Raksin in their catalogue; I love his noir writing.

I just looked it up in the Meeker. That was Maynard on trpt., John Williams on piano, and Joe Mondragon on bass.

Edited by sgcim

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Wow! I never heard Waxman write in this idiom. At one point he wrote a thing for accordion, harp and piano; you're not gonna hear that very often.

Too bad they don't have any Raksin in their catalogue; I love his noir writing.

I just looked it up in the Meeker. That was Maynard on trpt., John Williams on piano, and Joe Mondragon on bass.

The highlight for me is the 13-minute track on side 1, about 5:20 in on the video above.  It sounds like a Twilight Zone score.  The whole LP is generally in that bag, although there is one raucous juvenile delinquent track also.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

You can order at least 3 CDs for the same shipping price.  You may find other things you like.  For example, the 2-CD collection of Bernard Herrmann's music for the Alfred Hitchcock Hour is only ten bucks. 

I'll take another look. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Still worth the ten bucks.  I will revive my Twilght Zone jazz thread and discuss this album, if I have not already.

I've paid $4-5 for shipping one CD many times before, & thought at the price I'd just get it.