BFT 170 Discussion Thread

lipi

I'm really not feeling a need to "pick favorites" with these. The ones I like, I said so, the ones I wither didn't (or liked a little less), I said that too. The good stuff is all really good, and and some point, it does me good just to hear it. I'm at the point in life (jaded, burnt out, blissed out, whatever) where human excellence is its own reward in my book. And excellence exists quite apart from "style" or even/especially "taste".

The only thing I feel ambiguous about is the Shaw cut. It still seems that there should be a better mastering available. But maybe that's just Buddy Rich using all the air in the room! :)

Overall, a really excellent compilation of human musical excellence, seriously.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'm really not feeling a need to "pick favorites" with these. The ones I like, I said so, the ones I wither didn't (or liked a little less), I said that too. The good stuff is all really good, and and some point, it does me good just to hear it. I'm at the point in life (jaded, burnt out, blissed out, whatever) where human excellence is its own reward in my book. And excellence exists quite apart from "style" or even/especially "taste".

The only thing I feel ambiguous about is the Shaw cut. It still seems that there should be a better mastering available. But maybe that's just Buddy Rich using all the air in the room! :)

Overall, a really excellent compilation of human musical excellence, seriously.

I agree.

This is an excellent collection of music.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

That's a wonderful line.

The reason the mastering is bad, is that it's from a 1939 WB Vitaphone reel, "Symphony of Swing": https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142885/

Here's the full reel (LBG is the last tune):

And here's just LBG, if you're in a hurry:

For full thread-convergence, note that there are couples dancing Collegiate Shag during the second half of the tune.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 5:20 PM, lipi said:

I'll reply in this pinkish shade... (How do you set the background colour?)

I didn't see the pinkish shade until the response.  I took my notes in an app called Sticky Notes on my Chromebook at work.  It copies the color of the note when you copy and paste and I can't figure out how to get it to NOT do that. :D