Brownie Emarcy Box: 11th Disc???

Justin V

I bought the Clifford Brown Emarcy box set for 27 bucks on Thursday, sans box and booklet. After checking the forum, I found out that there was an 11th disc that had a fifth take of 'Flossie Lou' on it, which I thought was a joke at first. I looked at past eBay sales and it appears that recent sales have been without the 11th disc, although there is a really expensive eleven-disc set on eBay now.

The Emarcy set is available for legal download via the usual channels, but with the 5th take of 'Flossie Lou' as an album-only download. I am not interested in a burn of the track and could make do with Spotify when I listen to the set to scratch my completist itch, but missing one track still might drive me nuts.

Can anyone tell me anything about this mysterious 11th disc? I am assuming that there was an inadvertent exclusion and the record company supplied the missing disc, but how did they distribute it? Any advice on tracking one down? I know that it is quite a long shot, but you never know; Savoy was still sending out corrected discs for the Bird set when I requested one a couple of years ago.

It was indeed a CD of just one track.  I bought my copy used and it already came with the 11th disc, so I don't know when this was added (or indeed if it was shipped later after the missing track was discovered).  I'm not sure why they didn't repress disc 10.

When the box was first released, the 11th disc was actually a mini-CD, if you remember those.  Upon repressing, that disc became a regular-sized CD, but still with only that one track.  It wasn't a 5th take of Flossie Lou; it was a rehearsal take, with some conversation recorded within, that occurred before the 1st take.  It was meant as a surprise bonus.  IMHO, it's a nice-to-have, but definitely not essential.  

What's also interesting is it may not have been planned as a permanent part of the box set.  My box's cover clearly states "10 Compact Discs," and the booklet only lists 10 discs.  But the third jewel case, which says "Disc 8-10" on the spine, actually holds 4 discs.  You can see if your jewel case was meant to hold 3 discs or 4.  Also, my box was made in Japan, though distributed in the USA by American Polygram (as it was then).  If yours was made in the USA, maybe they purposely excluded the 11th disc.

My box (bought in Canada) has the full sized extra CD with ‘Flossie Lou’.

Although it says ‘Nippon Phonograph Ltd’ the CDs booklets look to have been manufactured in what was then West Germany, with the CDs made by ‘PDO Hanover’.

The RRK set also has a bonus disk (of live material with Andrew Hill).

Both absolutely fabulous box sets and at the time they were released, exemplars of state of the art quality (Music and quality of manufacture).

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My box (bought in Canada) has the full sized extra CD with ‘Flossie Lou’.

Although it says ‘Nippon Phonograph Ltd’ the CDs booklets look to have been manufactured in what was then West Germany, with the CDs made by ‘PDO Hanover’.

The RRK set also has a bonus disk (of live material with Andrew Hill).

Both absolutely fabulous box sets and at the time they were released, exemplars of state of the art quality (Music and quality of manufacture).

I still have the Brownie and the RRK sets with their bonus CDs. Yes, Fabulous boxes!

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

When the box was first released, the 11th disc was actually a mini-CD, if you remember those.  Upon repressing, that disc became a regular-sized CD, but still with only that one track.  It wasn't a 5th take of Flossie Lou; it was a rehearsal take, with some conversation recorded within, that occurred before the 1st take.  It was meant as a surprise bonus.  IMHO, it's a nice-to-have, but definitely not essential.  

What's also interesting is it may not have been planned as a permanent part of the box set.  My box's cover clearly states "10 Compact Discs," and the booklet only lists 10 discs.  But the third jewel case, which says "Disc 8-10" on the spine, actually holds 4 discs.  You can see if your jewel case was meant to hold 3 discs or 4.  Also, my box was made in Japan, though distributed in the USA by American Polygram (as it was then).  If yours was made in the USA, maybe they purposely excluded the 11th disc.

This is my box as well.  It says ℗ and © 1989 by Nippon Phonogram Co. Ltd.

I have the three inch cd.  I was going to ask how to play it but at least one of my DVD/cd players seems to have the indented area in which to fit them. (I have 4 other 3 inch cds: Frank Zappa, Bruce Springsteen, Sting with Gil Evans and Billie Holiday.  Obviously haven't played them in a while.) 

33 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I have the three inch cd.  I was going to ask how to play it but at least one of my DVD/cd players seems to have the indented area in which to fit them. (I have 4 other 3 inch cds: Frank Zappa, Bruce Springsteen, Sting with Gil Evans and Billie Holiday.  Obviously haven't played them in a while.) 

I think there was also an adapter you could buy that snapped onto the 3" CD and allowed it to be played in any CD player.  I guess that's almost 30 years ago.

I bought the japanese box set (10CD) in Japan in 1989 at Shinseido, Tokyo. I was a good customer since 1981 with about 15 LP or CD each month, so they offered me the mini CD containing Flossie Lou (SSCD-4 not for sale) pressed separately in 1989.

Edited by Claude Schlouch

My Brownie box - bought around the time it was released - has the 11th CD with the one track. That was back when record companies seemed to care about doing things right. Compare that to the Getz Verve box of several years ago. Well, we screwed up, but we'll give you the track we left off as a download, even though you paid for physical product.
The only companies which seem to care these days are Mosaic and Nessa - Chuck paid to have his Air LPs repressed last year because he didn't like the sound. (I believe that was what happened.)