2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

Late

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they did that series for Spain, they all had the weird blue-tinged cover, I got something out of that, I forget what. But US Blue Note did it too:

R-5277944-1390099306-4486.jpeg.jpg

The music on that series was excellent, of course. But the covers were pretty creep...

https://www.discogs.com/label/343585-The-Blue-Note-Collection

R-6370622-1417974645-3534.jpeg.jpg

R-5627669-1402522513-6929.jpeg.jpg

R-6438652-1419239271-5900.jpeg.jpg

I mean, c'mon, stop it before somebody gets hurt! :g

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, they did that series for Spain, they all had the weird blue-tinged cover, I got something out of that, I forget what. But US Blue Note did it too:

R-5277944-1390099306-4486.jpeg.jpg

The music on that series was excellent, of course. But the covers were pretty creep...

https://www.discogs.com/label/343585-The-Blue-Note-Collection

R-6370622-1417974645-3534.jpeg.jpg

R-5627669-1402522513-6929.jpeg.jpg

R-6438652-1419239271-5900.jpeg.jpg

I mean, c'mon, stop it before somebody gets hurt! :g

Also sonically very good ....

22 hours ago, soulpope said:

So who actually does the "scouting" .... ?

He does some but also gets leads from other people, fans etc.

I gave him a lead but asked him for a favor in exchange, and then he acted like he did not understand what I was asking him for so I decided I could no longer help him. I have a hunch this lead is also correlated with the new Blue Note agreement based on the names of artists listed. This might have resulted in my being involved in some way, but sometimes you need to walk away from bad situations.

Edited by bertrand

1 minute ago, bertrand said:

He does some but also gets leads from other people, fans etc.

I gave him a lead but asked him for a favor on exchange, and then he acted like he did not understand what I was asking him for so I decided I could no longer help him. I have a hunch this lead is also correlated with the new Blue Note agreement based on the names of artists listed. This might have resulted in my being involved in some way, but sometimes you need to walk away from bad situations.

Thnx for your feedback .... sounds like him not being the savior of jazz ....

I don't think he is making that claim but he definitely likes to make a lot of noise around himself.

These kinds of endeavors are team efforts, seems obvious to me. He definitely is not what I would call a 'team player'. Lots of take and no give.

If he was precluded from doing the favor in return that I asked for, I could have understood. But acting like he did not understand what I was asking for was just insulting my intelligence. There was no way he could not be in possession of the information I was asking for, he could not have done what he wanted to do without it.

I used to be in awe and even lined up a lecture for him at the DC Jazz Archives to talk about his work. But I had to walk away. His loss, anyone who works with me know I am meticulous. I could be an asset to anyone who is not trying to treat me like 'the help'.

I am involved in a new project which had some initial bumps, but I think now they have figured out what an asset I can be.

8 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

They had very good sonics because they lifted the audio from released CDs. Several of them were digital copies of TOCJ CDs, which were out of print and hard to find. I still have a few of these.

I have a Larry Young ‘Into Somethin’’ in this series which was taken from the TOCJ I believe. Sounds excellent.

18 hours ago, bertrand said:

I don't think he is making that claim but he definitely likes to make a lot of noise around himself.

These kinds of endeavors are team efforts, seems obvious to me. He definitely is not what I would call a 'team player'. Lots of take and no give.

If he was precluded from doing the favor in return that I asked for, I could have understood. But acting like he did not understand what I was asking for was just insulting my intelligence. There was no way he could not be in possession of the information I was asking for, he could not have done what he wanted to do without it.

I used to be in awe and even lined up a lecture for him at the DC Jazz Archives to talk about his work. But I had to walk away. His loss, anyone who works with me know I am meticulous. I could be an asset to anyone who is not trying to treat me like 'the help'.

I am involved in a new project which had some initial bumps, but I think now they have figured out what an asset I can be.

When I interviewed him a few years ago I just got the impression he's a huge fan, he's a nice guy.  I do think in the music field though ego does become this huge thing tht's so hard to avoid, which is why about my own work I try to be egoless.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

When fandom turns into careerdom, that's when personal character is sure to get tested.

I think you are on the right track. He has to worry about people stealing his ideas, and I guess it made him a bit paranoid. I could not convince him that I could be trusted so I had to walk away.

Don't get me wrong, I will recommend people buy the CDs, I just can't give him any more leads, alas.

42 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I think you are on the right track. He has to worry about people stealing his ideas, and I guess it made him a bit paranoid. I could not convince him that I could be trusted so I had to walk away.

Don't get me wrong, I will recommend people buy the CDs, I just can't give him any more leads, alas.

I think it also comes down to how long you've known someone, and whether you've worked together before.  Trust often doesn't happen overnight, and sometimes much less quickly with some folks.  Not suggesting anything about who's right/who's wrong in this (or any) particular instance.  Means of communication can also introduce miscommunication (or at least uncertain communication) -- i.e. it's hard to get a read on someone just through email or even over the phone.  People have different styles of communication that aren't always compatible too.

Put me with a New Yorker who's really a fast-talker, and I'm likely to discount what they're saying quite a bit -- maybe more than I should -- simply on communication-style alone.  But doubly so over the phone.

Dozens of factors at play.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:30 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

little of the infamous 'Trainwreck' is especially 'boogaloo' in nature, and it still speaks to me a TON.

yeah the 'Trainwreck' is hardly an example of its namesake, and would have been a solid notch in the catalogs of Strata-East, Muse, Cobblestone, or a number of other small labels focusing on advanced post-bop of the period. I enjoy it quite a bit.