Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Late

2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

283 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good. I think there is a list of what Naima had since she tried to sell it at auction. But this is the first I am hearing that Alice had tapes, although I always assumed it.

Edited by bertrand

On 3/22/2020 at 7:42 AM, bertrand said:

There are a lot of 70s Blue Note sessions that should never have seen the light of day.

Not too many clunkers in the Lion/Wolff era though. There are a few that have a bad reputation, but that is subjective.

I think ultimately, the issue is that this is the first, extreme, example of a decision that the old guard (Lion, then Cuscuna/Lundvall) felt strongly about that the new guard (Don Was/Zev Feldman) reversed. How much the new guard took the old guard's opinion into consideration is something we will never be privy to.

I don't think this will happen a lot. This was probably the 'Lost' session with the most 'commercial potential'. The Train Wreck will remain in the vaults although it is a 'better' record. I don't want to speculate about the Shorter session. I will never clamor for it, but I am a bit curious, as I am curious about the Kenny Dorham one.

Bertrand.

PS: The bonus tracks to Sixth Sense were an interesting turn of events. I can't remember how they decided to reverse Cuscuna's decision to burn the session, maybe releasing only three tracks was the compromise.

I've heard the rest of the session from which 3 tracks were added to 6th Sense as a bonus (they are on YouTube, or at least were) - IMHO the're fine and if they put the session out on its own i'd buy it, YMMV.  At this point I'm close enuff to having everything from the Alfred & Francis years that I'd actually kinda like to have it all, especially for time like these...

34 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Good. I think there is a list of what Nails had since she tried to sell it at auction. But this is the first I am hearing that Alice had tapes, although I always assumed it.

If you want to pay:

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/gespraech-mit-ravi-coltrane-ueber-seinen-vater-15662494.html

13 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I've heard the rest of the session from which 3 tracks were added to 6th Sense as a bonus (they are on YouTube, or at least were) - IMHO the're fine and if they put the session out on its own i'd buy it, YMMV.  At this point I'm close enuff to having everything from the Alfred & Francis years that I'd actually kinda like to have it all, especially for time like these...

In 2014, Cuscuna wrote new liner-notes:"That session was plagued by some problems with the audio an with Lee Morgan's lip. Only three of the six tunes were worthy of release ..."

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Son Of Ice Bag said:

If you want to pay:

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/pop/gespraech-mit-ravi-coltrane-ueber-seinen-vater-15662494.html

In 2014, Cuscuna wrote new liner-notes:"That session was plagued by some problems with the audio an with Lee Morgan's lip. Only three of the six tunes were worthy of release ..."

Maybe I need to listen more carefully, but I didn't hear that.  At this point Lee Morgan's reputation is secure, folks know if they like him or not.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I thought I had Michael Cuscuna convinced to add all 6 tracks to "The Sixth Sense" but he decided only 3 met the cut. I was glad that he at least added those three.

I really don't hear a major difference in quality between the three he added and the three he didn't.

Sometimes I really think someone must have made fun of Cuscuna's dancing...

To be honest, Cuscuna didn't even pick the 3 tracks I thought were the best of 'em.