Late

2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

302 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Thanks ... but great: the only sane offer on discogs (30$ sans shipping) is unavailable for me in Switzerland ...

Keep the faith. One will come up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Because Puccini died in 1924, Belden believed that Turandot was out of copyright. Unfortunately for Belden and Blue Note Japan, it was completed by Franco Alfono, who died in 1954, so it is still under copyright until 2024. The Puccini estate did not give Belden permission to issue his Jazz version of Turandot, so until 2024, it will remain out of print.

A friend brought a copy back from Japan for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my Toshiba CD of the Tyrone from the old Tower on Sunset Strip with its fine Japanese import section. Also picked up an original Liberty LP in great nick over here too - and very reasonably priced - at around the same time. Since then I have occasionally seen other copies of the Liberty LP here in the UK.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, king ubu said:

I know, but *I* don't have it ... and I don't think there are offers for sane prices (US offers are not game, with the crazy shipping costs added), hardly any offer under 100€ that I can see ... is the TOJC okay or should the later one be hunted (which seems a pretty impossible mission anyways).

Here's one on eBay, for not such an insane price.  Not cheap, but not a whole lot more than I think I paid for my brand new copy from Tower Records back circa 2003...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYRONE-WASHINGTON-NATURAL-ESSENCE-JAPAN-CD-KENNY-BARRON-WOODY-SHAW/142791013839?hash=item213f01f5cf:g:uTUAAOSwxQha5GpI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

51Jz%2B-hxV1L.jpg

 

-New sounds- : Kenny Dorham (tp) Howard Bowe (tb) Sahib Shihab (as) Musa Kaliem (Orlando Wright) (ts) Ernie

Thompson (bar) Walter Bishop (p) Laverne Baker (b) Art Blakey (d)

New York, December 22, 1947

322-3 The thin man 

323-1 Bop alley Blue Note 

323-2 Bop alley (alt take)

324-2 Groove Street 

325-1 Musa's vision 

 

Those album covers of the early BN´s really are funny. We all are used to the fantastic fotos of the artists, done by Francis Wolff, things like the picture of Coltrane on "Blue Trane", the profile picture of Bud on the "Amazing Vol 1 and 2", etc etc.., so the early covers look like from another world. Especially this Blakey cover. But also the covers from the early 50´s still have something of that old style in them, let´s say the J.J. Johnson Vol. 1 and 2, they already have a picture of the artist, but a small one, and the rest is those strange garlands and stuff, where you don´t know what it should be.

They seemed to keep some of that strange cover art even as late as 1957, if you look at Cliff Jordan Vol. II...

On some of those strange covers there is a name written "Hermansader". Was this "Hermansader" the album cover artist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Those album covers of the early BN´s really are funny. We all are used to the fantastic fotos of the artists, done by Francis Wolff, things like the picture of Coltrane on "Blue Trane", the profile picture of Bud on the "Amazing Vol 1 and 2", etc etc.., so the early covers look like from another world. Especially this Blakey cover. But also the covers from the early 50´s still have something of that old style in them, let´s say the J.J. Johnson Vol. 1 and 2, they already have a picture of the artist, but a small one, and the rest is those strange garlands and stuff, where you don´t know what it should be.

They seemed to keep some of that strange cover art even as late as 1957, if you look at Cliff Jordan Vol. II...

On some of those strange covers there is a name written "Hermansader". Was this "Hermansader" the album cover artist?

Graphic artist John Hermansader ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And some by Gil Mellé, right?

@Rooster_Ties Thanks, however there's not "buy it now" price and I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow ... bad timing :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, king ubu said:

 Thanks, however there's not "buy it now" price and I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow ... bad timing :( 

Regarding Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" - have you sampled the music before paying big money for the CD? I've owned it twice and dumped it twice. I just don't find it very good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Regarding Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" - have you sampled the music before paying big money for the CD? I've owned it twice and dumped it twice. I just don't find it very good.

Yup, I have a copy of the other TOCJ actually and I like it! But somehow, in all these years, I just never managed to find it for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, king ubu said:

And some by Gil Mellé, right?

@Rooster_Ties Thanks, however there's not "buy it now" price and I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow ... bad timing :( 

Go to auctionstealer.com, and set up a free account. You can use that to set a "snipe bid" to bid for you 10 seconds before the auction close, and you can set your maximum bid.

 I've been using that site for well over 10 years, maybe closer to 15 years even? It's great, it lets you bid your maximum at the very, very end – and not drive up the overall final price. (The idea being that if you don't bid until the last minute, last 10 seconds actually, it doesn't give anyone else much or any time to outbid you. Goodbye bidding wars!)

Very reliable, and you get 3 free snipe bids every week, without having to pay for their services. I swear by it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been listening to 1999 issue of The Lost Sessions and was thinking that a Vol 2 would an excellent present for the Blue Note aficionado.

All those ‘rejected’ or ‘unreleased’ sessions must have had at least one track that is listenable. None could sure be more shambolic or anticlimactic than Tadd’s from the 1999 disc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I’ve been listening to 1999 issue of The Lost Sessions and was thinking that a Vol 2 would an excellent present for the Blue Note aficionado.

All those ‘rejected’ or ‘unreleased’ sessions must have had at least one track that is listenable. None could sure be more shambolic or anticlimactic than Tadd’s from the 1999 disc.

I'd kill to hear just one or two tracks from the Gene Harris/Grant Green session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Clunky said:

I’ve been listening to 1999 issue of The Lost Sessions and was thinking that a Vol 2 would an excellent present for the Blue Note aficionado.

All those ‘rejected’ or ‘unreleased’ sessions must have had at least one track that is listenable. None could sure be more shambolic or anticlimactic than Tadd’s from the 1999 disc.

I liked that Tadd D date just fine, YMMV indeed!

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I'd kill to hear just one or two tracks from the Gene Harris/Grant Green session.

Don't know that I'd do that...but sure would love to hear it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the Dameron date sad/creepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/05/2018 at 6:43 PM, Late said:

I love the first decade of Blue Note as well. The last time the music from this decade was reissued in Japan was 1998. I wonder if bringing back the original (and beautiful) cover art would help sales. (The U.S. of course didn't use the original covers for their reissues.)

The 1939-49 cover artwork is mostly pre-Reid Miles, but just as hip. I can't find a website that features this earlier artwork. Anyone?

I always have stated that I miss BN music from this period. I have some TOCJs from the 7000 series from 98 or 99. Covers here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I have some TOCJs ... from 98 or 99. Covers here.

Covers here too (some with better scans!). Here's the thread that discusses those reissues. A great series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new film on the label as well ... my parents asked me to join them for the Sunday matinee next weekend - not expecting all that much but am curious.

https://bluenoterecords-film.com/en/film/

blurb from there:

The film explores the vision behind the iconic American jazz record label. Since 1939, Blue Note artists have been encouraged to push creative boundaries in search of uncompromising expressions. Through current recording sessions, rare archive and conversations with iconic Blue Note artists, the film reveals an intimate perspective of a legacy that continues to be vital in today’s political climate.

Legendary artists Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter come together with today’s generation of groundbreaking Blue Note artists such as Robert Glasper and Ambrose Akinmusire to record an All-Stars album. These reflections lead us back to the highly influential figures of the past on which the legacy of Blue Note is built: Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Horace Silver and Miles Davis.

The Film strives to transmit the values that jazz embodies and that Blue Note has been promoting since its inception: freedom of expression, equality, dialogue - values we can learn from and that are as relevant today as they were when the label was founded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leave it to me you guys, I'm gonna go over a plan with Don Was to get these last tapes out.  Lets face it, he might not even know about it.  He knows they have stuff, but hes not a lifelong Blue note freak like we are, is he?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

leave it to me you guys, I'm gonna go over a plan with Don Was to get these last tapes out.  Lets face it, he might not even know about it.  He knows they have stuff, but hes not a lifelong Blue note freak like we are, is he?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

we will hopefully be for a brief moment in october.....

I see an imagined conversation to rival the one with LD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I see an imagined conversation to rival the one with LD.

I didn’t know how to respond to Chewy’s prior comment. 

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.