2019: Blue Note's 80th Anniversary

Late

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zev doesn't seem like someone I'd want to hang out with, but his relentless self-promotion has helped Resonance and should help BN get some attention for whatever they put out.  There's stuff still in the vaults I'd like to see out (I've heard Morgan's Blues for Mr. Tatum and I think it's fine) and live recordings of combos with no official live recordings would be nice too.  So, I'm guardedly optimistic.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Zev seemed like a pretty ok guy when I heard him give a talk at UDC around the time that the Larry Young thing came out.

Not somebody I'd necessarily click with immediately, but he wasn't terribly off-putting either.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever met a fellow jazz fan that wasn't at least a little quirky in the personality dept (and I'm sure anyone who's met me would include ME in that same quirky dept too).

He seemed like an only "semi-oddball" jazz enthusiast -- and I'm sure a few of us here are very much in that same vein.

I'm appreciative of the work he's doing, and I'll try and support his work with my wallet to the extent I can, as my interests dictate.

If he can unearth anything else as amazing as all those Larry Young sides, man, he's doing damn important work there, and more power to him.

13 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Glad to not be a part of it, assume you are too.

Being "around it" (i.e. - several degrees of separation) to the extent that I have been is close enough for me. I'm sympathetic to the need for the hustle, but it's not for me, no.

And I sometimes wonder how much of any of this self-imposed need to "be somebody" is rooted in a fear of the universe instead of a trust in it. Better (and more ancient) minds than mine have yet to answer that one with absolute certainty!

I'll tell you what, though - Zev Feldman and others in his world, they ain't no Boris Rose, nor will they be, not if they keep going like this. That alone should make them at least a little humble when they're alone by themselves.

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

He’s a go getter, probably an A personality. People like him are used to getting things done. Hopefully he can find sessions worth bringing out. 

Yeah, he seemed a little Type A when I saw him, but not the most Type A of anyone I've known (and worked with).

Honestly, me and Type A's are like oil and water. I'm sure I drive them crazy, and I damn well know they sure as hell drive ME crazy.

*Especially* Type A *MEN*. I worked with a ton of Type A guys in my first real job out of college, in a corporate environment, and it just about drove me off a cliff. I'm much more fond of Type A women, including working with and for them. My wife's kind of Type A too. I've got no problem with strong-willed women, long as our values are in decent alignment, etc. Some of my best friends and work colleagues have been Type A women, matter of fact.

Zev wasn't that bad, but he's clearly a go-getter, and can be aggressive when he wants to (or if he forgets not to be).

Probably need someone like that, though, to make some of this stuff happen.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

29 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, he seemed a little Type A when I saw him, but not the most Type A of anyone I've known (and worked with).

Honestly, me and Type A's are like oil and water. I'm sure I drive them crazy, and I damn well know they sure as hell drive ME crazy.

*Especially* Type A *MEN*. I worked with a ton of Type A guys in my first real job out of college, in a corporate environment, and it just about drove me off a cliff. I'm much more fond of Type A women, including working with and for them. My wife's kind of Type A too. I've got no problem with strong-willed women, long as our values are in decent alignment, etc. Some of my best friends and work colleagues have been Type A women, matter of fact.

Zev wasn't that bad, but he's clearly a go-getter, and can be aggressive when he wants to (or if he forgets not to be).

I worked in a corporate environment so I know what you mean. I’m probably a high B but my wife is definitely an A. You may not always like As but they do get things done. 

32 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Always have, at least someones with some of that some of the time. Not all of it all the time, that's for sure. I've known plenty of "quiet" people who get things done quite well.

Substance over style!

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

You may not always like As but they do get things done. 

Even if it means getting somebody to do it for them so they can present it.

I have a "type" for them - WEASEL. I avoid them at any and all costs.

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Always have, at least someones with some of that some of the time. Not all of it all the time, that's for sure. I've known plenty of "quiet" people who get things done quite well.

Substance over style!

Even if it means getting somebody to do it for them so they can present it.

I have a "type" for them - WEASEL. I avoid them at any and all costs.

I think you have neatly summarized what bothered me.

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, soulpope said:

Zev Feldman via Facebook :

BIG TIME, BLUE NOTE! For those of you who haven't heard yet, I'm elated to announce that I'll be working with Blue Note Records as a consulting producer for historical and archival recordings. I will remain co-president of Resonance and still handle day-to-day oversight, but this Blue Note gig will add a very exciting and challenging dimension to my life and I'm ready to roll. In many ways this opportunity has me coming full circle to where my passion for jazz began as a teenager getting my first Blue Note recordings (Lee Morgan's 'Cornbread' & Horace Silver's 'Song For My Father') at 17, which started me on the path to becoming the unabashed jazzhead I am today. I want to give huge props to the great Chris Morris for writing such a gracious story about me and getting the word out there, and of course Don Was and Justin Seltzer for taking a chance on me. I'd also like to thank George Klabin of Resonance for allowing me to pursue this opportunity and giving me the chance to grow, including producing my first record. Looking forward to making great things happen in 2019 and beyond!

So, has there been anything more said about this, specifically RE: Blue Note??

I was looking to post somewhere about "what is happening with Zev and BN especially since we're well past 1/2 way into the 80th anniversary and no announcements". Not surprised someone else was wondering and I really hope some info about something exciting comes out soon.

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

especially since we're well past 1/2 way into the 80th anniversary and no announcements".

I was thinking in this direction too last night as I was listening to this

R-7495388-1442662839-8093.jpeg.jpg

and thinking how well they celebrated the 60th birthday in 1999, with a series of special reissues such as this and also the fantasticThe Blue Note Swingtets or Edmond Hall's Profoundly Blue, and not the reissue of the megasellers the Japanese are preparing for this year.

Those were excellent, I love the music of the first two decades and wish they would reissue them.

However I don't agree that the Japanese are reissuing "mega sellers." They are reissuing a lot of titles that have been out of print for a long time and a lot of just regular titles, not "mega sellers" alone.   

Edited by jazzbo

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Who reviewed BN records for the NYT before they got reissued?

John S. Wilson wrote about jazz for the NYT forever. Don't have time to really scour the archives but here are some things:

Feature review of "The Connection" from 1960. https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1960/06/26/99746217.html?action=click&contentCollection=Archives&module=ArticleEndCTA&region=ArchiveBody&pgtype=article&pageNumber=303

Brief capsule revew of Freddie's "Open Sesame" in 1961

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1961/02/12/118022261.html?action=click&contentCollection=Archives&module=LedeAsset&region=ArchiveBody&pgtype=article&pageNumber=371

Interesting snapshot piece about Andrew HIll story that's not a record review but mentions Blue Note label.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1967/03/17/83035710.pdf

Edited by Mark Stryker

Still to be issued:

"High Frequency", by Jackie McLean.

A 2 CD set of the previously unissued takes issued in Japan since 2011, except the tracks from the two "Blue John" (Patton) sessions.

A 2 CD set of the contents of the two Patton sessions, including the two tracks, "Extension" and "Davene", that wouldn't fit onto the (one) Japanese CD. 

One can already closely approximate that set. "Extension" showed up on a George Braith album and "Davene" is on a Patton album (from a year later) with exactly the same personnel: a trio performance with Patton, Green and Dixon, which makes a good fit.

2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Still to be issued:

"High Frequency", by Jackie McLean.

A 2 CD set of the previously unissued takes issued in Japan since 2011, except the tracks from the two "Blue John" (Patton) sessions.

A 2 CD set of the contents of the two Patton sessions, including the two tracks, "Extension" and "Davene", that wouldn't fit onto the (one) Japanese CD. 

One can already closely approximate that set. "Extension" showed up on a George Braith album and "Davene" is on a Patton album (from a year later) with exactly the same personnel: a trio performance with Patton, Green and Dixon, which makes a good fit.

Also, a CD issue of the Elvin Jones session with Lee Morgan that appeared on the "Prime Element" 2LP set.  That and a single CD issue of "High Frequency" (available on the McLean Mosaic) and of the 1967 McLean session with Moncur that appeared on the "Hipnosis" 2LP set (available on the Moncur Select) are my primary BN wish list.   Secondary are some Lou Donaldson sessions and a Stanley Turrentine session ("In Memory Of") that would enable me to unload those Mosaic boxes.   But those are minor quibbles, and we are blessed by how much HAS been made available the past 30 years.  Amazing times, with many sets in my collection I never dreamed I'd even be able to hear, let alone own.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

Also, a CD issue of the Elvin Jones session with Lee Morgan that appeared on the "Prime Element" 2LP set.  That and a single CD issue of "High Frequency" (available on the McLean Mosaic) and of the 1967 McLean session with Moncur that appeared on the "Hipnosis" 2LP set (available on the Moncur Select) are my primary BN wish list.

Yeah, that Elvin session with Lee Morgan is probably favorite out of the entire Elvin Jones Mosaic (because of Lee Morgan), and it's a shame it's never been issued individually.

Agree with you about those Mclean and Moncur dates too -- but that Elvin/Morgan date is really maybe the single greatest Blue Note date NOT YET issued individually on CD.

Yes indeed: Lee with Elvin is a great pairing.

Jackie Mac's "High Frequency" session is superb. It's a quartet, so it makes an excellent showcase for Jackie. He really bares his soul on that. The main four tracks form a nice suite. The "Bullfrog" track is "The Sidewinder #6", but it is nice, too. I don't think there was any decision not to issue it on CD on its own: it's just that no-one got around to it. (For anyone who doesn't know, it has only been released as a mid-70s LP twofer and in the Mosaic McLean set.) Someone might be able to get the Japanese to issue it.

Felser, I assume that the Lou Donaldson albums you are referring to are the mid-60s ones recorded for the Argo company. Of those, I like "Musty Rusty" the most. I regard it as an honorary Blue Note album, because it was recorded by Rudy and the lineup (Grant Green etc.) is Blue Note. Above all, the vibe is electric from the first note.

Stan Turrentine's "In Memory Of" is superb. It did come out in Japan and I had no trouble getting a copy about a year ago.