Thad & Mel BGO compilation

Mark Stryker

Gang -- has anybody heard this compilation and can evaluate the sound quality/transfers? Is the label legit? There apparently seems to be no other way at the moment to get the first Thad and Mel LP (Presenting ...") other than this. I'm trying to trying to build a short list of recommend recordings by the band.

https://www.amazon.com/Thad-Jones-Mel-Lewis-Presenting/dp/B0096Q54X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525798025&sr=8-1&keywords=thad+jones+mel+lewis

Mark,

I haven't heard that particular compilation, but my experience with the label is that the transfers are solid.  For example, their reissues of Graham Collier's music were excellent.  And I've heard positive things about their reissues of Arthur Blythe's Columbia recordings.

As to the legitimacy, I can't say.  I assume that in some cases BGO is reissuing material that's fallen out of copyright (in the EU/UK) and in other cases obtaining permissions from the artists/estates. I seem to recall that the Collier reissues were legit. But don't quote me on that.

Sorry not to have something more definitive.

• Legit.

• All three albums have been remastered by Andrew Thompson at Sound Performance, London, in 2012. Sounds right to me.

• 24-page booklet with all the original liner notes + additional notes (9 pages) by Charles Waring (Record Collector, Mojo).

F

I'll offer another thumbs up for the BGO label.  Totally legit, and wonderful remastering.  My favorite reissue label.  I've not sprung for the particular set in question since I already own the Vanguard album on CD and have not interest in the Ruth Brown CD.