Bob Brookmeyer trodden over

gvopedz

12 hours ago, gvopedz said:

In the middle of a recent article on Margo Guryan, there is this comment on Brookmeyer:  “Her first husband, jazz musician Bob Brookmeyer, was a prime example of someone trodden over by agents, managers and the rest, she said.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/margo-guryan-music-industry_us_5aa16fd0e4b0e9381c16951b

I remember around 1980 (about the same time Bob Brookmeyer joined the Mel Lewis Big Band as composer/arranger and sometimes soloing) there was a long interview with him in the german magazine Jazz Podium and he talked about that period. I remember he said he was unhappy though he had things that others would dream about: A beautiful wife, a beautiful house, lot of money from studio jobs, but it was depressing to work in the studios and that he would die as a musician, and that he started to drink heavily, but later after he went back to the music he loved, but minus a wife and a luxury house, he could stop drinking.....

Maybe the beautiful wife and the beautiful place to live (with swimming pool and all that stuff) he referred to was that Margo Guryan (I haven´t heard about her before, sure)

15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember around 1980 (about the same time Bob Brookmeyer joined the Mel Lewis Big Band as composer/arranger and sometimes soloing) there was a long interview with him in the german magazine Jazz Podium and he talked about that period. I remember he said he was unhappy though he had things that others would dream about: A beautiful wife, a beautiful house, lot of money from studio jobs, but it was depressing to work in the studios and that he would die as a musician, and that he started to drink heavily, but later after he went back to the music he loved, but minus a wife and a luxury house, he could stop drinking.....

Maybe the beautiful wife and the beautiful place to live (with swimming pool and all that stuff) he referred to was that Margo Guryan (I haven´t heard about her before, sure)

I remember his famous quote to Phil Woods during that period, "Be a man, Phil; sell out!"