The Eberhard Weber appreciation thread

rockefeller center

So he approached the orchestra, and they were interested, because their regular job is to pretty much play the classical stuff—the Mozart and Beethoven and Brahms. Then when it comes to playing modern stuff, they have to play this contemporary music which [laughing] nobody really likes, all this twelve-tone music and so on, the things that get played once and never again. So these kinds of orchestras like to find other playgrounds. They know they have to find new markets and new audiences. So they thought it might be interesting to work with some jazz musicians.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/eberhard-weber-please-dont-play-jazz-eberhard-weber-by-paul-olson.php?width=360

Edited by rockefeller center

Hi Rocky, how are you? Haven't seen you here for a long time. Still have fond memories of our evening at Blue Tomato ....

It's been a long time since I listened to the Colours of Chloe - what he says in his interview makes sense to me. I appreciate his frankness about the jazz scene. Things haven't changed much since then.

Hey Mike! I'm fine how are you?! I forgot the name of the trombonist (edit: Ed Partyka) that played on this evening at blue t but I have very fond memories as well. king ubu is another tomato victim... I see he's still active. :)

How's it going with your music? Any gigs in June? I'll be heading back to Austria soon after ten years (WTF) in Basel. 

https://youtu.be/t5SK0TtVlW0

Edited by rockefeller center

Hi Rocky - playing not much at the moment, just a percussion group with former students of mine, and accompanying dance classes at the musical university in Frankfurt. I'll be in Vienna for a week next year (Wiener Neustadt, to be exact), visiting an old friend of my wife - great opportunity for another club evening. I bought several CDs from Flip Philipp over the years, all great music.

13 hours ago, rockefeller center said:

Hey Mike! I'm fine how are you?! I forgot the name of the trombonist (edit: Ed Partyka) that played on this evening at blue t but I have very fond memories as well. king ubu is another tomato victim... I see he's still active. :)

How's it going with your music? Any gigs in June? I'll be heading back to Austria soon after ten years (WTF) in Basel. 

https://youtu.be/t5SK0TtVlW0

And I saw Ed Partyka conducting a Big Band and backing up Sheila Jordan last night ... first time I saw Ms Jordan was back when we met in Vienna. She still has it at 89!

Weber ... so far not really a musician whose stuff I got into much. Maybe time to give it another try.

@mikeweil off topic here, but Aynur will soon play Zurich. Won't make it though, way too many concerts all the time ...

16 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Colours of Chloe still holds up strongly.

I also like some of the stuff with Mariano and of course EW's early sideman situations with Wolfgang Dauner a.o.

I wish I'd discovered CoC in college, when I was really into prog rock.  by the time I first heard it my prog rock days were in the rear view mirror and the music didn't really resonate.  but I imagine I might re-evaluate in the coming decades. :)

YELLOW FIELDS and SILENT FEET are brilliant, however, and LITTLE MOVEMENT also has its charms.

I remember I saw him on stage in 1983 at Wiesen, also Austria. I think it was with the Jan Garbarek Group. Now I don´t remember if he played a regular acoustic bass or if he had switched to that electric upright you see on some pics.

Not to be able to play anymore must be a terrible blow for someone who´s life was and is music.

• 3 weeks later...