Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clifford_thornton

Harald Hult RIP

16 posts in this topic

The founder and owner of Andra Jazz in Stockholm, formerly the book/record shop Blue Tower, Harald Hult has died. Never met the man but I had hoped one day to visit Stockholm and rectify that. Seemed like my kind of guy and my kind of shop...

http://matsgus.com/discaholic_corner/?p=111

Only knew of it through that Gustafsson site. Hopefully the shop will survive

Oh no. Went there some two months back. Harald was there and in a good mood. Always intended to go back before the summer for some substantial shopping. Too late now, I suppose. Will try to check tomorrow if I can find out what will happen to the shop, but unfortunately I feel quite certain this will be the end. Harald has been this shop for fifty years.

RIP Harald. I will always remember the musical doors that were opened for me in that shop (through its various locations across the years).

harald-andra-jazz.gif

yeah, my friend Johan said the same thing -- it would be hard to continue without Harald, even if there are some other people who work there.

That's a great photo of him, by the way.

The only other person I've seen there during the last ten years is Kalle, an otherwise retired man and a friend of Harald's who I would imagine helped him out for free.

No news about this that I can find online. Did you hear it on Facebook, Clifford? 

This is a sad moment for me, but I will cherish the memories. Right now I'm thinking of the first time I heard Joe Henderson's In'n'Out. It was during the 90s when it was OOP and hard to come by over here, pre-internet. Harald had a copy of the LP and I bought it. My favourite Henderson/Dorham album.

heard from Torbjörn Sorhüs (Birka Jazz). 

Posted (edited)

OK, thanks for sharing.

Harald Hult was 77 years old.

Footage from the shop seems to be rare, but I found this clip from earlier this year. Some of the (great) atmosphere is caught. You could count on meeting a lot of interesting personalities in that shop.

Edited by Daniel A

this shop video is destroying my brain. Amazing.

Sorry to hear this, RIP. What a great looking shop.

It looks to have been a wonderful music place. I hope for the people of Stockholm and for the music that it will continue.

I just spoke to Kalle. He will keep the store open "until the summer", and then "we'll see what will happen". 

I will pay a visit soon.

This is very sad, what a great place and intriguing owner! Will try to visit during the summer.

Some more posts about Andra Jazz in this thread:

I am not sure that it will work out, but it is said that Mats Gustafsson will take over the shop. He would employ someone to keep it running but oversee the general business himself from a distance. We'll see.

This has happened: a graphic designer bought the whole shop as well as Harald's own private collection. He will have the shop open a few afternoons a week, run as a labor of love outside of his normal work. Not sure how viable it will be in the long run once the inventory is starting to shrink, but it will surely last for some time. And it's good that the place is still there.

Went there yesterday and it looks exactly the same with one change: they now accept credit cards!