Harald Hult RIP

Oh no. Went there some two months back. Harald was there and in a good mood. Always intended to go back before the summer for some substantial shopping. Too late now, I suppose. Will try to check tomorrow if I can find out what will happen to the shop, but unfortunately I feel quite certain this will be the end. Harald has been this shop for fifty years.

RIP Harald. I will always remember the musical doors that were opened for me in that shop (through its various locations across the years).

harald-andra-jazz.gif

The only other person I've seen there during the last ten years is Kalle, an otherwise retired man and a friend of Harald's who I would imagine helped him out for free.

No news about this that I can find online. Did you hear it on Facebook, Clifford? 

This is a sad moment for me, but I will cherish the memories. Right now I'm thinking of the first time I heard Joe Henderson's In'n'Out. It was during the 90s when it was OOP and hard to come by over here, pre-internet. Harald had a copy of the LP and I bought it. My favourite Henderson/Dorham album.

OK, thanks for sharing.

Harald Hult was 77 years old.

Footage from the shop seems to be rare, but I found this clip from earlier this year. Some of the (great) atmosphere is caught. You could count on meeting a lot of interesting personalities in that shop.

Edited by Daniel A

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This has happened: a graphic designer bought the whole shop as well as Harald's own private collection. He will have the shop open a few afternoons a week, run as a labor of love outside of his normal work. Not sure how viable it will be in the long run once the inventory is starting to shrink, but it will surely last for some time. And it's good that the place is still there.

Went there yesterday and it looks exactly the same with one change: they now accept credit cards! 

• 4 years later...

This is possibly of interest to noone (or possibly maybe to Clifford, the thread starter), but I just happened to find an obscurity. In a 1994 Swedish issue of Microsoft Magazine, Harald Hult appears in an ad for NEC laser printers. He's the man in tie on the top right. I remember when I saw this ad back then, and thought that the surly but dedicated jazz shop owner was unlikely in the role as some kind of office manager. Just happened to find this almost 30 year old magazine in the basement.796067101_20221119_171314(2).thumb.jpg.370c19521eac2a5bfd31ae9585064962.jpg

Edited by Daniel A