Gildo Mahones, RIP

EKE BBB

R,I,P,

One of those unsung jazz greats who never played a bad note and always found the perfect notes to play, in good taste and spirit. All of the many Prestige dates he did as a sideman in the 1960's are worth listening to, but his two LPs worth as a leader still has some tracks unissued and never was on CD.

R-3739920-1342452338-9389.jpeg.jpgR-5706469-1400459309-9903.jpeg.jpg

He came a long way,starting with Charlie Singleton's band in 1949, Lester Young in the early 1950's, Julius Watkins' band Les Jazz Modes, accompanist for Jon Hendricks and Lambert, Hendricks & Ross/Bavan, settling in California and playing for many singers, Lorez Alexandria in particular.

His only other recrding as a leader was an LP for Interplay in 1990. To me, he was the perfect tasteful modern jazz pianist.

R-10492114-1498560009-4038.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Sad news. Was he actually still performing?

Took me quite a while to get his qualities ... but yes, fine player. 

The Prestiges are herewith officially delegated to Fresh Sound for reissue (or are they too late for that? Fegh Disney fehg The Beatles fegh the Jacko heirs fegh el tupé!)

I've never known anybody else with the names of Gildo and/ Mahones, alone or together.

First heard him here (w/Pony Poindexter in tow as well).:

s-l300.jpg

Never knew too much about his except that he seemed to get called for a certain type of record dates, and always seemd to deliver.

RIP.

• 3 years later...