Herbie Hancock back in action

Milestones

Quite by accident I came upon Herbie Hancock on Austin City Limits.  I've always liked that show, though I have not kept abreast on it much in several years.  I cannot recall ever seeing a bona fide jazz artist on the show.  Herbie sounded pretty good with a quartet, though he mostly worked the funk and hip hop elements. 

I guess a new album is coming out (first in about 8 years, I believe), and once again it has quite a share of singers/guest stars.  I've not been too enthused by this approach, though Gershwin's World was pretty impressive and River had its moments. Clearly, Herbie has nothing prove anymore, but I'm sure many feel like I do and would welcome material that recalls his Blue Note period.          

Edited by Milestones

I am seeing him next month and have seen him in duos with Chick and Wayne in the last few years.  It might be on YouTube, but he played a great set in Detroit last year.  Due to the festival reducing their non-VIP seating by maybe about 75% at that stage on opening night, I ended up having to go to the hotel to stream both Wayne and Herbie's sets.  As a big fan of Wayne's quartet as well, having to settle for streaming after booking the hotel for an extra night specifically to see the two masters live was heartbreaking.

Although I might prefer hearing Herbie with just a core band focusing on instrumentals and without the added starpower, I am still looking forward to hearing his new album.  Herbie still sounds great, so if he has found collaborators who have inspired him to record again, I'd say that is good news.

Edited by Justin V