Dukes of Dixieland

Teasing the Korean

Whenever I go to an estate sale of a WWII-era guy and I go through his LPs, there are always a bunch of records by the Dukes of Dixieland.  Most seem to be on the Audio Fidelity label, but I've seen albums on Columbia also.   I instinctively avoid these records. 

These guys must have been pretty big, if the estate sales of WWII-era guys are any indication.

So I know the old story of beboppers calling Dixieland fans "moldy figs" and all.  But I am wondering if the Dukes of Dixieland were any good for what they were, or if even fans of early jazz dismiss them as outright kitsch.  

Just curious.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

They made two records with Louis. He has no problems with them, to put it mildly.

Me myself, what they did on there own was really at all my bag, but as far as "good for what they were", from what I've heard of them, yeah, they were. What they were, though, you will decide for yourself.

This is a good read: http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2015/05/55-years-of-louie-and-dukes-of-dixieland_24.html

I'm signing in to this joint for the first time in a couple of months to respond to this.

The Duke are pretty lightweight, for the most part. But here's the key: look at the clarinetists. I've had many Duke of Dixieland records over the years, but here are the ones I have  have kept:

An Okeh 78 with Harry Shields on clarinet.

A 1955 Vik LP later reissued as The Dukes of Dixieland Featuring Pete Fountain on RCA Victor. I have the later version

An Audio-Fidelity LP - the stereo version of You Have to Hear it to Believe It. The great Jack Maheu is on clarinet. This is a remake of a mono LP, and I'm not going to look up who is on clarinet on that version.

23 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I'm signing in to this joint for the first time in a couple of months to respond to this.

The Duke are pretty lightweight, for the most part. But here's the key: look at the clarinetists. I've had many Duke of Dixieland records over the years, but here are the ones I have  have kept:

An Okeh 78 with Harry Shields on clarinet.

A 1955 Vik LP later reissued as The Dukes of Dixieland Featuring Pete Fountain on RCA Victor. I have the later version

An Audio-Fidelity LP - the stereo version of You Have to Hear it to Believe It. The great Jack Maheu is on clarinet. This is a remake of a mono LP, and I'm not going to look up who is on clarinet on that version.

I wondered what had happened to you, Jeff. Haven't seen any of those way cool 78 posts in a while!

gregmo