Philip Roth, RIP

About a decade ago, I finally got around to reading my first Roth novel -- American Pastoral. It blew me away, and I immediately went on a Roth bender, reading a dozen or so of his books. What a voyage! 

Mention Roth's name, and people inevitably bring up his focus on sex, his enormous scabrous streak. But the scope of Roth's writing was so much broader than that!  He was a heavyweight, a GIANT.

I'm sorry that he's gone, but I'm thankful for the legacy he's left behind.

R.I.P.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:39 PM, Brad said:

Thank you for sharing these links, Brad. 

I love this Roth quote from Remnick's essay, which seems to sum up something very central to Roth's writing:

“'Everyone knows' is the invocation of the cliché and the beginning of the banalization of experience, and it’s the solemnity and the sense of authority that people have in voicing the cliché that’s so insufferable. What we know is that, in an unclichéd way, nobody knows anything. You can’t know anything. The things you know you don’t know. Intention? Motive? Consequence? Meaning? All that we don’t know is astonishing. Even more astonishing is what passes for knowing."

This recurrent idea in Roth reminds me very much of Tolstoy.

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Thank you for sharing these links, Brad. 

I love this Roth quote from Remnick's essay, which seems to sum up something very central to Roth's writing:

“'Everyone knows' is the invocation of the cliché and the beginning of the banalization of experience, and it’s the solemnity and the sense of authority that people have in voicing the cliché that’s so insufferable. What we know is that, in an unclichéd way, nobody knows anything. You can’t know anything. The things you know you don’t know. Intention? Motive? Consequence? Meaning? All that we don’t know is astonishing. Even more astonishing is what passes for knowing."

This recurrent idea in Roth reminds me very much of Tolstoy.

Reminds me of why I got so pissed off at the guy in NYR who said 'no one would deny that Cole Porter is wittier than Chuck Berry'...not to go totally off on a tangent.