soulpope

Woody Shaw "Tokyo 1981" (Elemental Music)

84 posts in this topic

woody-shaw-tokyo-81.jpg

Release date July 13th, 2018 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added to my Amazon wish list, thanks for the heads up.  Includes "Song of Songs" and "Theme for Maxine".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the line-up, and full track listing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Tempting!

Very!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must have that ! Woody Shaw and that band, they were the greatest, each of them a topnotch musician. I was lucky I saw that band.

Was quite astonished when I saw the fotos: He looks much heavier here than I remember him, I remember him really skinny.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah - he was pretty lean in the early 80s, doing that tai-chi on the bandstand. A really tight band when seen live, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

Looking forward to this release.

It's great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 2:20 PM, erwbol said:

6138MQ9Uy4L.jpg

41EXY37yaCL.jpg

81RsrmnAYaL._SL1500_.jpg

That bottom photo looks like a Columbia shot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I bit the bullet and got this on my last Dusty Groove order.  It's certainly good, but the sound quality makes it seem like they were in a fairly cavernous venue.

Also picked up "Vol 1" of the recent Shaw/Louis-Hayes/Junior-Cook "The Tour" release on HighNote -- which is also quite good.  (I still need to get "Vol 2" of this same band, but I understand it's taken from quite a hodgepodge of different concerts, as opposed to "Vol 1" - which is all from the same date.)

While I do like both of these -- I must say that I'm reminded that the also recent Woody Shaw Quintet "Vol 1 - At Onkel PO's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1982" sounds un-frickin'-believable (and the band is on fire too).  They're all good, but that Onkel PO's thing has to maybe be the very BEST live Woody Shaw document ever (in terms of sound quality).  Highest recommendation on that one (Onkel PO's...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't heard Tokyo-sounds like reverb was added??. I agree on Volume 1 Tour-well worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, mr jazz said:

Haven't heard Tokyo-sounds like reverb was added??. I agree on Volume 1 Tour-well worth it.

I hadn't considered the possibility of all that reverb not being a natural occurrence simply because of the nature of the venue.  It's not oppressive, but it is certainly omnipresent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.8.2018 at 10:13 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

While I do like both of these -- I must say that I'm reminded that the also recent Woody Shaw Quintet "Vol 1 - At Onkel PO's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1982" sounds un-frickin'-believable (and the band is on fire too).  They're all good, but that Onkel PO's thing has to maybe be the very BEST live Woody Shaw document ever (in terms of sound quality).  Highest recommendation on that one (Onkel PO's...)

👍👍!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, soulpope said:

👍👍!!

Agreed,  my expectations for the Shaw Onkel PO release were sky-high, and it still blew me away.  To me, his most essential 80's recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed,  my expectations for the Shaw Onkel PO release were sky-high, and it still blew me away.  To me, his most essential 80's recording.

Hope Vol. 2 will surface in not too distant future ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Hope Vol. 2 will surface in not too distant future ....

Amen!!  That Onkel PO disc is just stunning, in every which way you can imagine.  I normally don't focus or obsess about sound quality, but it has to be one of the very best (sounding) live discs I've ever heard, by any artist, any decade.  And the entire band is totally on fire too. 🔥 ‼️

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok ok. trying not to obtain more physical media but too many OTT comments about Onkel so on its way. Enabled here once again!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same struggle here...weakening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.