Woody Shaw "Tokyo 1981" (Elemental Music)

soulpope

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must have that ! Woody Shaw and that band, they were the greatest, each of them a topnotch musician. I was lucky I saw that band.

Was quite astonished when I saw the fotos: He looks much heavier here than I remember him, I remember him really skinny.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, I bit the bullet and got this on my last Dusty Groove order.  It's certainly good, but the sound quality makes it seem like they were in a fairly cavernous venue.

Also picked up "Vol 1" of the recent Shaw/Louis-Hayes/Junior-Cook "The Tour" release on HighNote -- which is also quite good.  (I still need to get "Vol 2" of this same band, but I understand it's taken from quite a hodgepodge of different concerts, as opposed to "Vol 1" - which is all from the same date.)

While I do like both of these -- I must say that I'm reminded that the also recent Woody Shaw Quintet "Vol 1 - At Onkel PO's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1982" sounds un-frickin'-believable (and the band is on fire too).  They're all good, but that Onkel PO's thing has to maybe be the very BEST live Woody Shaw document ever (in terms of sound quality).  Highest recommendation on that one (Onkel PO's...)

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, mr jazz said:

Haven't heard Tokyo-sounds like reverb was added??. I agree on Volume 1 Tour-well worth it.

I hadn't considered the possibility of all that reverb not being a natural occurrence simply because of the nature of the venue.  It's not oppressive, but it is certainly omnipresent.

On 15.8.2018 at 10:13 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

While I do like both of these -- I must say that I'm reminded that the also recent Woody Shaw Quintet "Vol 1 - At Onkel PO's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1982" sounds un-frickin'-believable (and the band is on fire too).  They're all good, but that Onkel PO's thing has to maybe be the very BEST live Woody Shaw document ever (in terms of sound quality).  Highest recommendation on that one (Onkel PO's...)

👍👍!!

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Hope Vol. 2 will surface in not too distant future ....

Amen!!  That Onkel PO disc is just stunning, in every which way you can imagine.  I normally don't focus or obsess about sound quality, but it has to be one of the very best (sounding) live discs I've ever heard, by any artist, any decade.  And the entire band is totally on fire too. 🔥 ‼️

Edited by Rooster_Ties