Woody Shaw "Tokyo 1981" (Elemental Music)

soulpope

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41zgst5Kc2L.jpg

Elemental Music presents a complete previously unissued quintet performance by the great Woody Shaw recorded live at the Foyer Stadttheater, in Basel, Switzerland, on January 16, 1980. This outstanding concert features Shaw in the company of saxophonist Carter Jefferson, pianist Larry Willis, bassist Stafford James, and drummer Victor Lewis. This gatefold edition includes rare photographs and special essays by famed jazz producer Michael Cuscuna and by Shaw's son Woody Shaw III.

Features:
• 180g Vinyl
• Gatefold jacket

Musicians:
Woody Shaw
Carter Jefferson, saxophone
Larry Willis, piano
Stafford James, bass
Victor Lewis, drums

Selections:
Side A:

1. Love Dance
Side B:
1. 'Round Midnight
2. Teotihuacan
3. Theme for Maxine

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Woody-Shaw-Live-in-Basel-1980-180g-LP/productinfo/ELELP50263/

Looks excellent!

Also coming out on Elemental as a 2 cd set; I've preordered.

Disc: 1

1. INVITATION

2. SEVENTH AVENUE

3. IN YOUR OWN SWEET WAY

4. STEPPING STONE

Disc: 2

1. LOVE DANCE

2. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

3. TEOTIHUACAN

4. THEME FOR MAXINE

5. WE'LL BE TOGETHER AGAIN

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

1. INVITATION

2. SEVENTH AVENUE

3. IN YOUR OWN SWEET WAY

4. STEPPING STONE

1. LOVE DANCE

2. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

3. TEOTIHUACAN

4. THEME FOR MAXINE

Me too, thanks for the heads-up on the CD version!

Man, oh man, I do NOT think I can resist.  "Seventh Avenue" and "Love Dance" are both big favorites.

And I'm not sure, but is this the first ever live version of "Teotihuacan" that's been issued so far?  Not a tune title that I remember seeing that much on any of the various live Woody CDs' I have (and I have practically all of them).

15 hours ago, Niko said:

41zgst5Kc2L.jpg

Elemental Music presents a complete previously unissued quintet performance by the great Woody Shaw recorded live at the Foyer Stadttheater, in Basel, Switzerland, on January 16, 1980. This outstanding concert features Shaw in the company of saxophonist Carter Jefferson, pianist Larry Willis, bassist Stafford James, and drummer Victor Lewis. This gatefold edition includes rare photographs and special essays by famed jazz producer Michael Cuscuna and by Shaw's son Woody Shaw III.

Features:
• 180g Vinyl
• Gatefold jacket

Musicians:
Woody Shaw
Carter Jefferson, saxophone
Larry Willis, piano
Stafford James, bass
Victor Lewis, drums

Selections:
Side A:

1. Love Dance
Side B:
1. 'Round Midnight
2. Teotihuacan
3. Theme for Maxine

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Woody-Shaw-Live-in-Basel-1980-180g-LP/productinfo/ELELP50263/

Looks excellent!

Intriguing .... btw Carter Jefferson (!!) ....

12 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Man, oh man, I do NOT think I can resist.  "Seventh Avenue" and "Love Dance" are both big favorites.

And I'm not sure, but is this the first ever live version of "Teotihuacan" that's been issued so far?  Not a tune title that I remember seeing that much on any of the various live Woody CDs' I have (and I have practically all of them).

"Teotihuacan" is on Live, Volume 3

18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

1. INVITATION

2. SEVENTH AVENUE

3. IN YOUR OWN SWEET WAY

4. STEPPING STONE

1. LOVE DANCE

2. 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

3. TEOTIHUACAN

4. THEME FOR MAXINE

Where did you preorder?

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Importcds is being very competitive these days. Maybe they always have been, & I just noticed.

They have gotten more competitive.  I noticed I was buying from them frequently on ebay.  Their direct website often has different pricing than their prices on ebay, in both directions.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I once ordered frequently from importcds, but now avoid them. On one order I was shipped the wrong item, and the return / refund process was an absolutely ridiculous hassle which I decline to risk repeating.

My experieces with them have been good, and I have bought many hundreds of CD's from them.

26 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

My experiences have been slightly mixed, enough that I won't use them to save a few dollars only. And the amazon price may be even lower by the time it's released, and I'll get it on release day. Works for me.

What I tend to do is leave my Amazon pre-order in place, and not pre-order from Importcds, and watch the price on Amazon close to the release date and make a decision which way to go.  

I've ordered often from Import on Amazon  & never had a problem (other than that I don't like DHL).  Never have had something not show up or the wrong item arrive.

I recently did my first order directly from them. The first item shipped immediately. The 2nd item is a preorder. We'll see how it goes.

19 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I've ordered often from Import on Amazon  & never had a problem (other than that I don't like DHL).  Never have had something not show up or the wrong item arrive.

I recently did my first order directly from them. The first item shipped immediately. The 2nd item is a preorder. We'll see how it goes.

Their pre-orders don't get there the day of release, like Amazon, but they arrive within a few days.

37 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Are Bremen and Basel one CD or two?

Bremen (if that's just the quartet only, and I think it is) is definitely 2cd's ~ 100 minutes total (I've had a burn of that one for 15 years, and it's stunning).

I'm pretty sure Basel is 2cd's too (iirc), and much longer than it is on LP (just 1 LP). I don't have it yet, so can't confirm personally. But that's my recall from the links up above. LP is barely 4 tunes, iirc. CD is like 8 tunes (half of them really long), and 2cd's (again, iirc).

4 hours ago, bertrand said:

Ah, so there is no one-CD vs. Two-CD option. It is just the L.P. that is shorter.

Yup unfortanately that is the case. Got the Live in Bremen Lp for my birthday and was so happy with it until I found out I missed half the concert...