Woody Shaw "Tokyo 1981" (Elemental Music)

soulpope

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got around to cracking open Tokyo...sounds like a club date, "reverb" not really reverb, just mike placement, imo. Everybody's good but maybe a little tired, was this at the end of a tour? Best cut for me is the last one, the "bonus cut" of Sweet Love Of Mine" with Johnny Griffin - and everybody else -  in top form.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:07 PM, felser said:

Just checked, much lower price on importcds ($14.04 + $2.98 shipping vs. $19.98).  I'll likely end up cancelling my Amazon pre-order.

https://www.importcds.com/live-in-basel-1980/8435395502372

Amazon pre-order price down to $16.79, so that is the way to go if you carpe dium.

• 1 month later...

Ordered both the Dex and Woody, should be here tommorrow along with two exclusive new albums Chick Corea is only selling at his site... Vigilette, Tempus Fugit a new trio recording with Carlitos Del Puerto and Marcus Gilmore and a new Akoustic Band album, which for the for seeable future will only be available in Japan.

"Basel 1980" has very good sound and very nice playing. Larry Willis makes the date for me. I never quite get and enjoy James "Bumblebee" Stafford* and his playing, but he's not offensive here. . . . 

*I always call him that because once in a phone call Danny D'imperio referred to him In that manner and I get a chuckle out of it.