Preliminary thoughts on the two new Grant Green titles on Resonance

CJ Shearn

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

hmmm...I think he sounds like a lot of the better local players back in that time. The whole "splash" thing he does sounds like it would have worked on organ way better than it does on Rhodes. I love Rhodes, but heard so many players not getting that it wasn't a piano, nor was it an organ, it was a RHODES goddami! that...brrrrrr....

Say what you will about Chick Corea (I both love him and loathe him at times), he knew how to get a wonderful personal sound on the Rhodes.  Herbie Hancock, too.  I agree, there are jazz pianists I like on acoustic who I can't stand on Rhodes (looking at you and your ring modulator, George Cables) and others who just became totally bland (Kenny Barron, for instance).

I love George Cables on Rhodes. not sure about his Ring Modulator, though...where do I go to hear that?

Listening to Funk In France now, and yes, shame about Don Lamond, that might be in France, but it is not funk. Still love the guy, but...

The Antibes set, though, HELL YEAH. Too bad that the organ wasn't always in the mix, that really sucks, but great energy all around, nonstop pocket, and the best Claude Bartee on record!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I love George Cables on Rhodes. not sure about his Ring Modulator, though...where do I go to hear that?

The Joe Henderson September 1970 Lighthouse material on Milestone ('If You're Not Part of the Solution...' and part of 'In Pursuit of Blackness').  I  will give you that Cables sounds good on Woody Shaw's great 'Blackstone Legacy'.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Best recorded Rhodes sound ever imo, although the LP is really the only way to go, although CD is ok. YouTube sound sucks, you can't really get the magnificence of David Lee's cymbal whooshbath.

I like that album quite a bit, will have to go back and listen to Cables on it.  Also like the next one, 'Horn Culture', with "Sais".