What's next for Mosaic

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I talked to Ricky today at Jazz Congress, and he says the set is ready to go—they’re just waiting for Sony to sign off on the licensing, which is evidently taking longer than they’d expected. 

How much of this set will be new to CD? I'm guessing that it's not much. After this set, are there any Armstrong recordings that Mosaic hasn't released? :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/9/2019 at 4:43 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

How much of this set will be new to CD? I'm guessing that it's not much. After this set, are there any Armstrong recordings that Mosaic hasn't released? :)

Not many! The Verve recordings, the late stuff (post-1960), and the Mobile Fidelity things that the Andorrans put out. I'm also curious whether there's much of anything new on this upcoming set. As I mentioned on another thread, they may be hoping for some good sales on this one to beef up the budget a bit.

gregmo

14 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

As I mentioned on another thread, they may be hoping for some good sales on this one to beef up the budget a bit.

There are labels that I gladly patronize on a "just because" basis, and Mosaic has been one of them. But at some point (maybe now?), I ask myself if this beefing up of the budget by buying sets "just becuase" (as I did with the Savoy set) is going to be rewarded by something I buy because I really want it.

If they need to shift their customer base to stay in business, fine, so be it, live long and prosper. Fond memories and no regrets.

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Not many! The Verve recordings, the late stuff (post-1960), and the Mobile Fidelity things that the Andorrans put out. I'm also curious whether there's much of anything new on this upcoming set. As I mentioned on another thread, they may be hoping for some good sales on this one to beef up the budget a bit.

gregmo

Did Mosaic ever release Armstrong's 1946-47 studio recordings done for RCA?

21 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The earlier sessions for Okek and RCA were not Mosaic but on SONY boxes. Mosaic did these:

R-6886870-1428777290-9588.jpeg.jpg

R-9861451-1487534957-9152.jpeg.jpg

R-6353095-1417174397-5135.jpeg.jpg

And there is the still available Decca 1935-1946 box. There is no complete edition of Armstrong’s work for Okeh, Columbia and Victor 1925-1933.

22 hours ago, miles65 said:

And there is the still available Decca 1935-1946 box. There is no complete edition of Armstrong’s work for Okeh, Columbia and Victor 1925-1933.

The JSPs are pretty complete for the Okeh material, and the Victor set above reissues his earlier recordings for that label. Did he record for Columbia in this early period?

gregmo

On 1/13/2019 at 6:08 PM, felser said:

Per Mr. Sangrey's cogent post in the wish list thread, I fear it will just be more Binglerosey, and that the Strata-East was my last Mosaic set.

I'll be happy for some more Savory stuff, depending on what it is. But I really don't need the upcoming Louis set, and I'm waiting until the end for the Teddy Wilson, and will likely skip the latest Herman altogether.

14 hours ago, gmonahan said:

The JSPs are pretty complete for the Okeh material, and the Victor set above reissues his earlier recordings for that label. Did he record for Columbia in this early period?

gregmo

Some of the Okehs were first issued on Columbia. The JSP Box misses the later discovered instrumental takes. And the Bigband 2CD set misses the 4 alternate takes.

A Mosiaic I would go for would be 8 or 9 CD's. Disc 1-8 with the Okeh/Columbia and Victor sides. If Universal cooperates disc 9 could contain the Brunswick sessions including the 1934 Paris session. Than this set would seamlessly fit before the Decca 1936-1946 set.

The vocalist sessions from this period would ad 3 more CD's. Mostly not my cup of tea.

6 hours ago, miles65 said:

Some of the Okehs were first issued on Columbia. The JSP Box misses the later discovered instrumental takes. And the Bigband 2CD set misses the 4 alternate takes.

A Mosiaic I would go for would be 8 or 9 CD's. Disc 1-8 with the Okeh/Columbia and Victor sides. If Universal cooperates disc 9 could contain the Brunswick sessions including the 1934 Paris session. Than this set would seamlessly fit before the Decca 1936-1946 set.

The vocalist sessions from this period would ad 3 more CD's. Mostly not my cup of tea.

It does seem like every time anybody thinks they've issued everything, some new alternates turn up, but all that said, the JSP box and the 2cd big band set are pretty damn good. I assume those other alternates are on the Frémeaux boxes?? By "vocalist sessions," do you mean the blues singers? Affinity reissued those on a 6-cd set. Hard to come by, for sure!

gregmo

On 14/01/2019 at 10:12 AM, JSngry said:

I'll be happy for some more Savory stuff, depending on what it is. But I really don't need the upcoming Louis set, and I'm waiting until the end for the Teddy Wilson, and will likely skip the latest Herman altogether.

Ditto for more Savory - I visited the Harlem Jazz Museum in 2017 & listened to some of the Savory material (desktop computer & headphones) - there's a bit of Lennie T there that I'm really hanging out for - surprised they havn't released any of his material yet

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

Ditto for more Savory - I visited the Harlem Jazz Museum in 2017 & listened to some of the Savory material (desktop computer & headphones) - there's a bit of Lennie T there that I'm really hanging out for - surprised they havn't released any of his material yet

They have a huge amount of Benny Goodman (including some with Charlie Christian) and some very good Duke Ellington but they haven't been able to make a deal with either estate. 

Edited by medjuck

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

It does seem like every time anybody thinks they've issued everything, some new alternates turn up, but all that said, the JSP box and the 2cd big band set are pretty damn good. I assume those other alternates are on the Frémeaux boxes?? By "vocalist sessions," do you mean the blues singers? Affinity reissued those on a 6-cd set. Hard to come by, for sure!

gregmo

The Frémeaux series misses the alternate take of 'I can't give you anything but love' . If you have the JSP box and 2CD set you need the Louis Armstrong Neatwork vol. 1 to be complete. The sound of this missing take is not very good. On the JSP set it is the last track on CD 4.

The vocalists session yes I mean the blues singers and Seger Ellis and Jimmie Rodgers. I have the Affinty set. I wouldn't want to miss 'Sunshine baby' Not for the siging but hear Louis and Johnny Dodds play. But I would like to have a set with all of Armstrongs own recordings  without having to listen to singers that I am at best not very fond of. And this set does not excist.

• 7 months later...

Looks like that Paul Desmond set is coming soon:

But it was Paul Desmond’s Take Five from the album with a flowing, seductive melody, Brubeck’s memorable piano comping with a 3 and 2 beat division and Joe Morello’s vivid, measured drum solo that brought 5/4 to the jazz masses and beyond. Desmond recorded his own version with a very different quartet on the forthcoming Paul Desmond: The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings (Mosaic MD7-269), coming in early 2020.

56 minutes ago, thirdtry said:

But it was Paul Desmond’s Take Five from the album with a flowing, seductive melody, Brubeck’s memorable piano comping with a 3 and 2 beat division and Joe Morello’s vivid, measured drum solo that brought 5/4 to the jazz masses and beyond. Desmond recorded his own version with a very different quartet on the forthcoming Paul Desmond: The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings (Mosaic MD7-269), coming in early 2020.

See the Jazz Gazzette, post by Michael Cuscuna

Edited by Brad

23 hours ago, thirdtry said:

I caught that too. I was *completely* unaware that Mosaic was preparing such a set. Has it been mentioned here before, and I just missed it?! What *other* rumored sets have I managed somehow to miss?!

gregmo

Interesting links regarding this material:

Comments in this post include mention from Doug Ramsey about the possibility of this set:

https://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2019/06/weekend-extra-desmond-alert.html

c1.jpg

More extensive info on this group/time frame:

https://jazzhistoryonline.com/paul-desmond-canadians/

Edited by Backwhat

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I believe this is the "live material" set that was mentioned here months ago cryptically as permission was not given to divulge specifics.

I believe it was Ted O'Reilly who cryptically announced this set.  Kudos to him for not hinting at who or what the set was about - but now that it has been announced, I wonder if he has any further insight.  For those who don't know, Ted was connected to the Toronto Jazz scene and was an on air personality at a Toronto jazz station.

I'm a fan of Ed Bickert and remember dragging my parents, brother,  and sister to see him play at a place called Yellow Fingers back in the 70s.  Very much looking forward to this release