What's next for Mosaic

22 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

It will be a memorable Mosaic set. I've long been a fan of Ed Bickert and Don Thompson, in addition to Paul Desmond. If you haven't picked up the privately issued home recordings of George Shearing, which features duets with Thompson (along with a few Shearing solos), it is worth acquiring.

Is it in fact 'privately issued'?  That means to me no distribution save from the producer, but I know someone who bought that from Amazon, so it must be available online...    It's really good, as you note.  George playing his own piano in his own home, with no time limits, no producer asking for a smooth-jazz version of Justin Bieber's Greatest Hits...heaven for an artist.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Do those tapes still even exist?  If they were in Horizon/A&M’s possession, wouldn’t they have gone into Universal’s possession, and then there was that fire...

I really don't know. After A&M/Horizon, there was later private production from John Snyder through Artist's House from what I assume was that 'eloped' batch, so the tapes may have avoided that fate if they were in someone else's hands.  We may know the whole story anon...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Ted: You have sort of answered this above. but just seeking some clarity.

Does the set include music from both the March '75 and Oct/Nov '75 gigs?

Does the set include the music already released or is it all unreleased? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Could you share the track listing pls .... 

I'm not on the Lord TJD website, but Don Brown, a contributor here is, and printed it out for me.  As I mentioned, I am not sure it's yet complete, but I'll go with what it says, likely given by Mosaic.  I'm not going to reproduce it (too much keying-in for these fingers, but as a sometime-band, the repertoire is a bit limited so there are many titles presented several times.  Given the artists involved, they're always different, not just 'alternates' as they come from different circumstances.

I count 51 titles, 37 never issued. And let me say, from what I've heard, even the tracks that have been heard are all now remastered by a terrific engineer, Chad Irschik working with Don Thompson, and they sound WAY better than before... 

Session dates, all at Bourbon St. Toronto

March 25,26,28 1975: 17 tracks never issued.

March 29 1975: 6 tracks, released on Telarc 83319

October 25,26 1975 7 tracks never issued

October 27,28,29 1975 6 tracks, on Artist House (one also on a Verve), bootlegged on Domino

October 27,28,29, 1975 8 tracks, the best-known "Live..."etc on 2-LP A&M Horizon, Verve CD

October 30,31 1975 with Rob McConnell for Ed Bickert, 7 tracks.  This session was once assembled for release, I recall, but then never issued.  I see that TJD indicates there is a substitution for one of the intended tracks, so perhaps despite Mosaic calling it "The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings", there's gonna be at least one orphan track.

And I recall one of those nights that both Ed Bickert and McConnell were on stage together (Ed had heard of his father's passing and asked Rob to sub -- could have been an overlap, I don't recall these many yearts later) so it might have been taped, too...  As we learn from the never-ending world of Duke Ellington, complete is never complete.

27 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I saw an ad in downbeat and ordered it, by privately issued I meant this was likely a one off release by Shearing’s widow, though I didn’t take the time to confirm that before posting.

That's exactly right.  George's widow, Ellie had the tapes and wanted them released, and arranged with Don Thompson to get them out.  Very intimate, beautiful music there, from master musicians.

5 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

...as he wished -- Ed was a homebody, pure and simple.  He made a solid living, raised a beautiful family and slept in his own bed every night.  Though many implored him, he wasn't interested in a life on the road.  I personally think that if he had taken that trek, his music would have be somehow diluted, or lessened in some way through repetition.  That's certainly not the case for all artists but I think it would have been for Ed.

Don played with everyone, including -- on the road -- Handy, Shearing (for much more than 'a while'), Jim Hall; and many others who came through Toronto and wanted him to play in their groups.  But as in Bickert's case, why, unless for purely musical reasons, admiring the leader?  For the most part, there was no reason to.  He got to play a couple of weeks with everyone who came through the city (say:  Art Farmer, Dexter Gordon, Jay McShann, Zoot, Al, Rosolino, Fred Hersch, Don Friedman, etc. etc.) and in the afternoon play a film score or jingle or pop recording, and make some more bread and pension money AND sleep in his own bed.  Meanwhile, have their own music made with their 'local' friends on gigs they could control...  

Most of the world has no idea of what a solid musical scene it was in those guys' heydays of the 1950s on for a few decades.  Not even a half-step behind New York or LA or London.

(Oh yeah:  we have universal medical coverage and WAY fewer guns.  Too many, but WAY fewer.)

Just from that Jimmy Dale session David Piltch put up on You Tube, you can hear that the playing and writing was state-of-the-art for its time. Even the audience seems like they're hip! It reminds me of the scene in Great Britain in the 50s. They even gave the great Lenny Breau his own TV show for a short time in Toronto. 

10 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Yeah, I'm beginning to get that feeling -- and well they should.  Ed Bickert is starting to get the attention he deserves, but never sought.  And I'll say the same about Don Thompson, just about the only musical genius I've ever known.  Piano, bass, vibes, drums, writing, arranging, producing, teaching...  He's really something!

Thompson had a lot more visibility than Ed, because he toured with John Handy back in the 70s (including the well-known Monterey jazz festival performance), and then toured with George Shearing for a while. Ed barely left Toronto!

6 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I'm not on the Lord TJD website, but Don Brown, a contributor here is, and printed it out for me.  As I mentioned, I am not sure it's yet complete, but I'll go with what it says, likely given by Mosaic.  I'm not going to reproduce it (too much keying-in for these fingers, but as a sometime-band, the repertoire is a bit limited so there are many titles presented several times.  Given the artists involved, they're always different, not just 'alternates' as they come from different circumstances.

I count 51 titles, 37 never issued. And let me say, from what I've heard, even the tracks that have been heard are all now remastered by a terrific engineer, Chad Irschik working with Don Thompson, and they sound WAY better than before... 

Session dates, all at Bourbon St. Toronto

March 25,26,28 1975: 17 tracks never issued.

March 29 1975: 6 tracks, released on Telarc 83319

October 25,26 1975 7 tracks never issued

October 27,28,29 1975 6 tracks, on Artist House (one also on a Verve), bootlegged on Domino

October 27,28,29, 1975 8 tracks, the best-known "Live..."etc on 2-LP A&M Horizon, Verve CD

October 30,31 1975 with Rob McConnell for Ed Bickert, 7 tracks.  This session was once assembled for release, I recall, but then never issued.  I see that TJD indicates there is a substitution for one of the intended tracks, so perhaps despite Mosaic calling it "The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings", there's gonna be at least one orphan track.

And I recall one of those nights that both Ed Bickert and McConnell were on stage together (Ed had heard of his father's passing and asked Rob to sub -- could have been an overlap, I don't recall these many yearts later) so it might have been taped, too...  As we learn from the never-ending world of Duke Ellington, complete is never complete.

Thnx a lot ....

• 2 weeks later...

The Armstrong RCA and Columbia Studio Mosaic set is in process. From Ricky Ricardi's Facebook page (there's a picture there, but too big to upload here):

I’ve done some cool shit in my day....but sitting here holding the master tapes to “Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy” before transferring them ranks near the top of the list. (In my left hand is “St. Louis Blues,” the track that legitimately changed my life in 1995....overwhelming feeling....)

Edited by jazzbo

Ricky Riccardi is now posting pictures of him with the master tapes of the Pops Handy and Waller Columbia Lps.  Looks like it's going ahead.  I'm  not sure what else will be included though I would guess it will  have the recording of Louis teaching Lotte Lenya how to syncopate  Mac the Knife.  

Image may contain: Ricky Riccardi, smiling, sitting

1946 Esquire All Stars Date?✔️
1946-47 RCA Victor Big Band dates? ✔️
1946-47 RCA Victor small group dates? ✔️
“Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy” masters and alternates?✔️
“Satch Plays Fats” masters and alternates? ✔️

Tomorrow: “The Real Ambassadors” begins. Here I am earlier today hugging the master tapes. Keep watching this space for more updates and videos!

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Image may contain: Ricky Riccardi, smiling, sitting

1946 Esquire All Stars Date?✔️
1946-47 RCA Victor Big Band dates? ✔️
1946-47 RCA Victor small group dates? ✔️
“Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy” masters and alternates?✔️
“Satch Plays Fats” masters and alternates? ✔️

Tomorrow: “The Real Ambassadors” begins. Here I am earlier today hugging the master tapes. Keep watching this space for more updates and videos!

Don’t forget  the August, 25 1966 session on wich Canal street blues and Cabaret were recorded.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:55 PM, medjuck said:

Ricky Riccardi is now posting pictures of him with the master tapes of the Pops Handy and Waller Columbia Lps.  Looks like it's going ahead.  I'm  not sure what else will be included though I would guess it will  have the recording of Louis teaching Lotte Lenya how to syncopate  Mac the Knife.  

I think I guessed right: He just posted this on FB:

RED ALERT: We have discovered an unknown 37-minute reel of “Mack the Knife” outtakes, rehearsals and alternate takes, the full making of Louis’s 1955 hit!! Just have to find a place for it on the set but it WILL happen. (Dig that interlude!) Joy!

• 4 weeks later...
News about the upcoming Mosaic Studio RCA and Columbia set from co-producer/annotator Ricky Ricardi:

I'm calling it: as of 4:11 p.m., I now have a complete draft of my liner notes for the next Mosaic Records Louis Armstrong set! 29,944 words. There'll be some changes made as we're still in the process of selecting takes and sequencing the discs but I think I have a good handle on it. Anyway, let it be known this that set will be my big punctuation mark for all of my work on Armstrong's later years. There'll be more projects--I'm already in talks with multiple labels about some exciting All Stars-related projects--but this set, with Handy, Fats, the Real Ambassadors, Mack, all the RCA stuff, singles, alternate takes, rehearsals, other surprises this is the set I want to be remembered by.

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:
News about the upcoming Mosaic Studio RCA and Columbia set from co-producer/annotator Ricky Ricardi:

I'm calling it: as of 4:11 p.m., I now have a complete draft of my liner notes for the next Mosaic Records Louis Armstrong set! 29,944 words. There'll be some changes made as we're still in the process of selecting takes and sequencing the discs but I think I have a good handle on it. Anyway, let it be known this that set will be my big punctuation mark for all of my work on Armstrong's later years. There'll be more projects--I'm already in talks with multiple labels about some exciting All Stars-related projects--but this set, with Handy, Fats, the Real Ambassadors, Mack, all the RCA stuff, singles, alternate takes, rehearsals, other surprises this is the set I want to be remembered by.

Great update! On the phone the other day Scott said they were still trying to figure out how to sequence it and still keep it a 7-CD set, but yeah, it’s definitely steaming ahead!

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Coda said:

I have a dumb but honest question.  I've never owned a Mosaic and have no idea what sets it apart from any other label.   What makes it special?

In my opinion, the research behind these releases: Sourcing the original material, recovering the order of recordings, documenting each session in detail (who, when, where...; often a complete discography for a certain artist and label) in the enclosed booklets, requesting extensive comments (far beyond traditional "liner notes") from experts, sourcing photographs from the recording sessions. Most of the time, the mastering is also very good. Do yourself a favor and try a set. You won't be disappointed.