What's next for Mosaic

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed this on the Mosaic Gazette today:

"The team of Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley was made in Blue Note heaven. Kindred spirits with contrasting personalities, they made an amazing amount of gorgeous, soulful music together in the ‘50s and ‘60s. David Brent Johnson has seen fit to celebrate their partnerships on his Night Lights program. Interestingly, a number of his musical choices were tracks left unissued until after their deaths, which Mosaic Records is revisiting with our set The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-1970. Everything and anything they did together is of value and merit. And a ‘60s Morgan Mosaic set should follow next year!"

3 minutes ago, trane123 said:

Noticed this on the Mosaic Gazette today:

"The team of Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley was made in Blue Note heaven. Kindred spirits with contrasting personalities, they made an amazing amount of gorgeous, soulful music together in the ‘50s and ‘60s. David Brent Johnson has seen fit to celebrate their partnerships on his Night Lights program. Interestingly, a number of his musical choices were tracks left unissued until after their deaths, which Mosaic Records is revisiting with our set The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-1970. Everything and anything they did together is of value and merit. And a ‘60s Morgan Mosaic set should follow next year!"

Wow!!!  Scott had mentioned such a possibility last year.  (He did say they ruled out doing a 1960s Wayne Shorter Blue Note set, though--not sure why.  Is most of that part of the BN catalogue still in print?)  Nice of them to mention the Night Lights Mobley-Morgan program as well.

48 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Wow!!!  Scott had mentioned such a possibility last year.  (He did say they ruled out doing a 1960s Wayne Shorter Blue Note set, though--not sure why.  Is most of that part of the BN catalogue still in print?)  Nice of them to mention the Night Lights Mobley-Morgan program as well.

I'd certainly prefer a Wayne Shorter 1960s Mosaic to a Lee Morgan 1960s set - too much formulaic stuff on Morgan's BN albums, at least in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'm too old and too collected to get excited about this Morgan thing. Hopefully there's millions of others who aren't.

Unless the Morgan set includes tons of unreleased material, I'm not sure why we need a Mosaic.  I am a Morgan fan, too.  Like Mobley with his '60s output, Morgan was treated well by the CD era.

UNLIKE the Mobley 60's set -- which I already have every single track of on CD (including even the alternate take of "Don't Cry, Just Sigh" from Third Season, which only came out in Japan in 2012, which I do have on a legit CD)...

...with the prospect of a Lee Morgan set, there is perhaps a small handful of tracks still unreleased, iirc.  At work, and don't have time to dig into every last detail, but there's the other half of that Sept 13, 1968 session with Frank Mitchell (which I think(?) has been uploaded to YouTube too, iirc -- or at least some of it.

I'm seeing six (6!) different takes of "Blues for Mr. Tatum" uploaded by Joe Louis (haven't listened to them all, no idea how many are complete, and which ones are good).  And there are at least two (2) other tracks from that same session: Harold Mabern's "The Chief" (which I've read about a dozen times over the years around here), and "The Sleepwalker" (iirc).

Here's a prior thread about the session...

And here's the first take of "Blues for Mr. Tatum" -- and actually, this first bare (visible) YouTube link goes to a playlist with all 6 takes...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLINvK2ShyqTq52mnpxSOzFysVcL9Yl9X9

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

... I'm not sure why we need a Mosaic.  I am a Morgan fan, too.  Like Mobley with his '60s output, Morgan was treated well by the CD era.

Agreed on all accounts. It feels like another lost opportunity to reissue work that wasn't treated well by the CD era.

I also saw that comment about a Morgan Mosaic, in Mosaic's online blog. 

I must admit that I was a bit annoyed when I first heard that there would be a Mobley Mosaic, for reasons already stated above, which I won't repeat. When I read about a Morgan Mosaic, I was even more irritated. But, Mosaic is struggling, and that is probably why they went for these popular big names. Similarly, one could not blame Bill Evans for going from Riverside (starving) to Verve (pays the bills). (Ah, Verve, the waterer-downer.)

I won't be buying either set. I can do without the new alternate take from the "No Room For Squares"/"Turnaround" sessions.

A Wayne Shorter set would be a splendid collection of music, but, again, most of us have it all.

None of these sets is needed.

However, best wishes to Mosaic, of course.

15 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'm seeing six (6!) different takes of "Blues for Mr. Tatum" uploaded by Joe Louis (haven't listened to them all, no idea how many are complete, and which ones are good).  And there are at least two (2) other tracks from that same session: Harold Mabern's "The Chief" (which I've read about a dozen times over the years around here), and "The Sleepwalker" (iirc).

Joe Louis must have a different fuller version of this date than what has leaked out otherwise ... the only multi-take tapes I've seen are the ill-fated Messengers session discussed elsewhere (oh and two discs of Grant Green breakdowns). I should listen to these takes and see if there's an alternate worth adding.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Joe Louis must have a different fuller version of this date than what has leaked out otherwise ... the only multi-take tapes I've seen are the ill-fated Messengers session discussed elsewhere (oh and two discs of Grant Green breakdowns). I should listen to these takes and see if there's an alternate worth adding.

17 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Here's a prior thread about the session...

And here's the first take of "Blues for Mr. Tatum" -- and actually, this first bare (visible) YouTube link goes to a playlist with all 6 takes...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLINvK2ShyqTq52mnpxSOzFysVcL9Yl9X9

CORRECTION:

This youtube playlist is not six takes of Blues for Mr Tatum. It's the 6 tracks floating around from that unissued date.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Joe Louis must have a different fuller version of this date than what has leaked out otherwise ... I should listen to these takes and see if there's an alternate worth adding.

Are there any other Morgan unissued leader-dates? - or partial sessions that have only been half-released (as in this case).

There’s also that one odd very one-off single, with the two movie tunes. Have both sides of that single been issued on CD? I’m sure the A-side has (on some movie-themed BN comp), but what about the b-side?

Mind you, I’m not pining for that single myself, but as long as we’re making conversation about a potential Lee 60’s sessions box,

Anything else?

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

CORRECTION:

This youtube playlist is not six takes of Blues for Mr Tatum. It's the 6 tracks floating around from that unissued date.

Oh. I thought they were all labeled with that same song-title. Which tracks (uploads) are which??

49 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

There’s also that one odd very one-off single, with the two movie tunes. Have both sides of that single been issued on CD? I’m sure the A-side has (on some movie-themed BN comp), but what about the b-side?

Don't hold me to this, but wasn't it suspected that Lee did not actually play on that b-side?

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Oh. I thought they were all labeled with that same song-title. Which tracks (uploads) are which??

They were labeled but I think he was labeling by the so-called "name" of the session not track title. First track is the title track I don't have the other track titles handy.

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I've been hoping for an early Ellington (1925-31) set of Sony holdings - Pathe/Cameo/Columbia/Okeh/Harmony/Perfect/Banner/etc. This would more than double the "Okeh Ellington" set.

Still hoping for a set along those lines as well—Scott’s talked over the years about doing one that would include what you mentioned plus the Victors from that general era.

Yeah, not sure why it's been relegated to the back-burner for so long.  And now it may be even more problematic if Sony sticks to their infuriating new policy about not leasing recordings for things like Mosaic projects.  Not sure but I think the forthcoming Armstrong set is in the works only because it was grandfathered in--at one point it was in danger of being axed all together because of said policy.  Maybe the status of that policy has changed, not sure, but if it hasn't, that would preclude an early-Ellington box.

Btw based on a recent post to a jazz research listserv, I believe the Black and White box set is underway!