What's next for Mosaic

15 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yeah, not sure why it's been relegated to the back-burner for so long.  And now it may be even more problematic if Sony sticks to their infuriating new policy about not leasing recordings for things like Mosaic projects.  Not sure but I think the forthcoming Armstrong set is in the works only because it was grandfathered in--at one point it was in danger of being axed all together because of said policy.  Maybe the status of that policy has changed, not sure, but if it hasn't, that would preclude an early-Ellington box.

Btw based on a recent post to a jazz research listserv, I believe the Black and White box set is underway!

When I last spoke with Scott (about a month ago), he described the Black & White project as being "a bit on the back burner."  Scott has enquired about the availability of certain 78s (some of which I have), so the project is still planned.  However, he said he was concentrating on getting the next Armstrong box out.

No sign of the Herman box here.  I think I'll check in with him... 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

When I last spoke with Scott (about a month ago), he described the Black & White project as being "a bit on the back burner."  Scott has enquired about the availability of certain 78s (some of which I have), so the project is still planned.  However, he said he was concentrating on getting the next Armstrong box out.

Maybe I read too much into the listserv tea-leaves, I suppose.  

14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I've been hoping for an early Ellington (1925-31) set of Sony holdings - Pathe/Cameo/Columbia/Okeh/Harmony/Perfect/Banner/etc. This would more than double the "Okeh Ellington" set.

Count me in too. Assuming that Sony could be moved, that set could also include the early Victors.

gregmo

18 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I also saw that comment about a Morgan Mosaic, in Mosaic's online blog. 

I must admit that I was a bit annoyed when I first heard that there would be a Mobley Mosaic, for reasons already stated above, which I won't repeat. When I read about a Morgan Mosaic, I was even more irritated. But, Mosaic is struggling, and that is probably why they went for these popular big names.

Popular? Maybe Morgan, but their last Mobley set took forever to sell out. 

58 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Popular? Maybe Morgan, but their last Mobley set took forever to sell out. 

Hasn't the speculation that most (or at least many!) of Mosaic's sets have "timed-out" over the years, before they actually hit their maximum (contractually-limited) sales allotment?  Most of their contracts limited sales to a specific time-frame (i.e. # of years), iirc -- at least from what I've read around here.

And *if so*, then I think there was some further speculation I've heard that (somehow?) Michael managed to keep the Mobley 50's sessions in print *considerably* longer than practically any other set Mosaic has ever done (that they didn't own the rights to).

Speculation, on top of speculation, I fully realize.  In any case, I too wonder how it came to be that the earlier Mobley set was in-print for over a decade! - isn't that right?  Discogs says it came out in 1998.  When did it go OOP?? - something like 4-5 years ago? - give or take.  Not more than 5 years ago (and not much less than 3).  In any case, it had to be in print for something like 15 years.  Has Mosaic ever kept ANY other title in print for anything even close to that?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So what's next for Mosaic?  There was talk of a Lee Morgan box, but there is nothing listed on their website under "Upcoming Releases."  Ricky Riccardi says he's working on a Satchmo box, but, as I said, no mention on Mosaic's site.  And what else?  Perhaps the answer is simply: nothing.  I mean, they're either keeping Mosaic as a going concern, or are wrapping things up.  Certainly maintaining a warehouse costs money, and if they're not selling boxes, where's the money coming from?  Respectfully submitted.