Lyin' Wolf

What's next for Mosaic

169 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I've been hoping for an early Ellington (1925-31) set of Sony holdings - Pathe/Cameo/Columbia/Okeh/Harmony/Perfect/Banner/etc. This would more than double the "Okeh Ellington" set.

Still hoping for a set along those lines as well—Scott’s talked over the years about doing one that would include what you mentioned plus the Victors from that general era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Still hoping for a set along those lines as well—Scott’s talked over the years about doing one that would include what you mentioned plus the Victors from that general era.

Same here, that would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That type of Ellington set would be welcome here as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, not sure why it's been relegated to the back-burner for so long.  And now it may be even more problematic if Sony sticks to their infuriating new policy about not leasing recordings for things like Mosaic projects.  Not sure but I think the forthcoming Armstrong set is in the works only because it was grandfathered in--at one point it was in danger of being axed all together because of said policy.  Maybe the status of that policy has changed, not sure, but if it hasn't, that would preclude an early-Ellington box.

Btw based on a recent post to a jazz research listserv, I believe the Black and White box set is underway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yeah, not sure why it's been relegated to the back-burner for so long.  And now it may be even more problematic if Sony sticks to their infuriating new policy about not leasing recordings for things like Mosaic projects.  Not sure but I think the forthcoming Armstrong set is in the works only because it was grandfathered in--at one point it was in danger of being axed all together because of said policy.  Maybe the status of that policy has changed, not sure, but if it hasn't, that would preclude an early-Ellington box.

Btw based on a recent post to a jazz research listserv, I believe the Black and White box set is underway!

When I last spoke with Scott (about a month ago), he described the Black & White project as being "a bit on the back burner."  Scott has enquired about the availability of certain 78s (some of which I have), so the project is still planned.  However, he said he was concentrating on getting the next Armstrong box out.

No sign of the Herman box here.  I think I'll check in with him... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

When I last spoke with Scott (about a month ago), he described the Black & White project as being "a bit on the back burner."  Scott has enquired about the availability of certain 78s (some of which I have), so the project is still planned.  However, he said he was concentrating on getting the next Armstrong box out.

 

Maybe I read too much into the listserv tea-leaves, I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I've been hoping for an early Ellington (1925-31) set of Sony holdings - Pathe/Cameo/Columbia/Okeh/Harmony/Perfect/Banner/etc. This would more than double the "Okeh Ellington" set.

Count me in too. Assuming that Sony could be moved, that set could also include the early Victors.

 

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Count me in too. Assuming that Sony could be moved, that set could also include the early Victors.

 

 

 

gregmo

By my count, that would be 215 tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chuck Nessa said:

By my count, that would be 215 tracks.

 

That would be, what, 8 cds? Doable, though it broaches Mosaic's mysterious 7-cd limit!

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gmonahan said:

 

That would be, what, 8 cds? Doable, though it broaches Mosaic's mysterious 7-cd limit!

 

 

gregmo

More like 9 or 10 - their last Ellington box was 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

More like 9 or 10 - their last Ellington box was 11.

I'd still go for it! But I don't know how much of a market there is for the *very* early stuff.

 

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

More like 9 or 10 - their last Ellington box was 11.

But that's because they mostly don't fill CDs (which is fine with me, but if it opposes their 7 CD rule I don't understand)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I also saw that comment about a Morgan Mosaic, in Mosaic's online blog. 

I must admit that I was a bit annoyed when I first heard that there would be a Mobley Mosaic, for reasons already stated above, which I won't repeat. When I read about a Morgan Mosaic, I was even more irritated. But, Mosaic is struggling, and that is probably why they went for these popular big names.

 

Popular? Maybe Morgan, but their last Mobley set took forever to sell out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Popular? Maybe Morgan, but their last Mobley set took forever to sell out. 

Hasn't the speculation that most (or at least many!) of Mosaic's sets have "timed-out" over the years, before they actually hit their maximum (contractually-limited) sales allotment?  Most of their contracts limited sales to a specific time-frame (i.e. # of years), iirc -- at least from what I've read around here.

And *if so*, then I think there was some further speculation I've heard that (somehow?) Michael managed to keep the Mobley 50's sessions in print *considerably* longer than practically any other set Mosaic has ever done (that they didn't own the rights to).

Speculation, on top of speculation, I fully realize.  In any case, I too wonder how it came to be that the earlier Mobley set was in-print for over a decade! - isn't that right?  Discogs says it came out in 1998.  When did it go OOP?? - something like 4-5 years ago? - give or take.  Not more than 5 years ago (and not much less than 3).  In any case, it had to be in print for something like 15 years.  Has Mosaic ever kept ANY other title in print for anything even close to that?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This would more than double the "Okeh Ellington" set.

I have and like that set so I'd probably go for that box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.10.2019 at 5:37 PM, bebopbob said:

Anyone have an update on the Paul Desmond -Toronto box?

?? ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to Scott the other day when I was ordering Mobley Box.  He said Desmond was slated for a Spring release.  Definitely still in the works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hbbfam said:

I spoke to Scott the other day when I was ordering Mobley Box.  He said Desmond was slated for a Spring release.  Definitely still in the works.

Thnx for the update ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, soulpope said:

Yes pls ....

Any updates on the forthcoming Desmond Mosaic? Do we have any idea how many CDs it will encompass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.