Les Génies du Jazz box set

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Count me among the victims who gave up on completing their B.B. King collection ...

Well that was never a goal of mine but I suspect I am very near complete (forgetting MCA releases I am not concerned about).  Didn't think in terms of complete but I am guessing they have dug out everything that could be released in the vaults, since there was only one "new" CD issued in the time since he died.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

You at least have the Newport In New York record, right?

This one? Ot the jam session?

R-1838962-1349821235-5634.jpeg.jpg

Heard all these LPs on the radio back then, but they were hard to find over here. If they would have put the whole series in a box set on CD, I'd have bought one right away. The LP set can be had cheaply, OTOH - maybe some day I will....

Edited by mikeweil

Both, and yeah, what has happened to those anyway? Too many hurdles with so many people?

That Soul Sessions was the last one I got, and a little bit to my surprise, I liked it over the Jimmy Smith one. Billy Eckstine!

What a unique time that was, maybe the last time that there was that much of an inter-generational crossover within that broader demographic. Maybe that’s why the whole Kamari Washington thing seems natural to me, I mean, he makes more sense in that way than Wynton or any other Appointed Guardianever did.

When we talk about “Black Music”, that means sooo much more than this little group and that bigger group. Unless things have gotten permanently broken, a record like that one makes perfect sense then, and now.