BFT 171 Discussion Thread

Ken Dryden

My initial Blindfold Test (171) can is now available for download.

I look forward to your responses. It was a lot of fun to put together and I hope that many of you will discover some music you just haven't had the opportunity to hear.

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixe typo.

Only a brief listen so far.

Track 5 is unmistakably Art Farmer playing Dameron's "If You Could See Me Now". A bit of research revealed he's with Austrian pianist Fritz Pauer.

Track 14 has got to be Ben.

Is that Carl Perkins I hear on Track 15? The tune is "Seven Come Eleven".

Sounds like Toots on Track 16.

1. old devil moon. bobby hutcherson, late period?

3. fantastic bass player, could it be george tucker? is yusef lateef involved?

13. just friends. first vibraphone solo sounds like terry gibbs. i enjoyed his combo records on jasmine.

15. jim halls debut as a leader with carl perkins and red mitchell. seven come eleven, associated with charlie christian, whose influence is obvious here.

I know Track 7, because I chose a track from the same album for my Blindfold Test 168 in March. It is "Surrey With the Fringe on Top," played by Mary Lou Williams, from her 1976 album on Steeplechase,  "Free Spirits". Buster Williams is on bass. Mickey Roker is on drums. This is a bonus track which was not on the original LP, but is on the CD reissue.

I love Mary Lou's 1970s playing. I saw her live in 1978 in a duet performance with bassist Ronnie Boykins. It was outstanding.

Also, I am pretty sure that Track 12 is Phillip Johnston. I am not sure of the album. I heard his "Normalology" album about 10 years ago and loved it. I bought as many Phillip Johnston albums as I could order, and listened to him often for a period of time. I have not revisited the albums in awhile. This song prompts me to go back and listen to him again. What happened to Phillip Johnston? I never hear about him any more. He put out some very interesting, strong stuff for several years.

Edited by Hot Ptah

On 6/5/2018 at 3:12 PM, hgweber said:

1. old devil moon. bobby hutcherson, late period?

3. fantastic bass player, could it be george tucker? is yusef lateef involved?

13. just friends. first vibraphone solo sounds like terry gibbs. i enjoyed his combo records on jasmine.

15. jim halls debut as a leader with carl perkins and red mitchell. seven come eleven, associated with charlie christian, whose influence is obvious here.

1. Correct song, but it isn't Bobby Hutcherson.

3. It is not George Tucker, nor is Yusef Lateef present.

13. It is Just Friends and Terry Gibbs plays the opening melody on vibes, but not the first (or last) vibes solo.

15. You nailed it. The reason I included this track is that it is the original, unedited take, not the edited version butchered by Richard Bock's post-production insanity that greatly reduced the solos of Mitchell and Perkins.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixed typo and changed answer.

2 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I know Track 7, because I chose a track from the same album for my Blindfold Test 168 in March. It is "Surrey With the Fringe on Top," played by Mary Lou Williams, from her 1976 album on Steeplechase,  "Free Spirits". Buster Williams is on bass. Mickey Roker is on drums. This is a bonus track which was not on the original LP, but is on the CD reissue.

I love Mary Lou's 1970s playing. I saw her live in 1978 in a duet performance with bassist Ronnie Boykins. It was outstanding.

Also, I am pretty sure that Track 12 is Phillip Johnston. I am not sure of the album. I heard his "Normalology" album about 10 years ago and loved it. I bought as many Phillip Johnston albums as I could order, and listened to him often for a period of time. I have not revisited the albums in awhile. This song prompts me to go back and listen to him again. What happened to Phillip Johnston? I never hear about him any more. He put out some very interesting, strong stuff for several years.

You're obviously correct about track 7. I can't get enough Mary Lou Williams. I never got to see her perform, but I have an extensive collection of her work.

Track 12 is indeed Philip Johnston. 

Johnston moved to Australia a few years ago, though he has returned to the US on occasion for gigs with the Microscopic Septet and leading various small groups. I saw him in Chattanooga probably 15 years ago playing with a local avant-garde band called The Shaking Ray Levis. He is well represented in my collection, though I'm not sure that I've tracked down all of his dates as a leader.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that Phil Woods on clarinet on Track 8? I hear some of his distinctive sound.  I do not know who the guitarist is, or which album this is. I like it and want to find out.

I love Track 9. It features very interesting writing and great playing, with soulful feeling. I love the baritone saxophonist's playing. I am trying to count how many instruments--it seems to be either eight, nine or ten. I do not know who this is, but I want to get this album. Sometimes when there is writing this unique and interesting, there is no soulful feeling, but this track has it all.

Track 10 is weird. Who would play that combination of keyboards? The organ sounding keyboard has an unusual sound. For a few seconds toward the beginning I thought it could be Sun Ra, because I thought I heard his sound in the left hand on the piano. He would have definitely experimented with unusual sounds on multiple keyboards. But as the track progressed I could tell it was not him. The rhythmic feeling is too stiff to be Sun Ra. I have no idea who this is. It is most intriguing.

Track 11 sounds like something I should definitely know, and probably have in my collection. I just can't place it at all.

7 minutes ago, Hot Ptah said:

Is that Phil Woods on clarinet on Track 8? I hear some of his distinctive sound.  I do not know who the guitarist is, or which album this is. I like it and want to find out.

I love Track 9. It features very interesting writing and great playing, with soulful feeling. I love the baritone saxophonist's playing. I am trying to count how many instruments--it seems to be either eight, nine or ten. I do not know who this is, but I want to get this album. Sometimes when there is writing this unique and interesting, there is no soulful feeling, but this track has it all.

Track 10 is weird. Who would play that combination of keyboards? The organ sounding keyboard has an unusual sound. For a few seconds toward the beginning I thought it could be Sun Ra, because I thought I heard his sound in the left hand on the piano. He would have definitely experimented with unusual sounds on multiple keyboards. But as the track progressed I could tell it was not him. The rhythmic feeling is too stiff to be Sun Ra. I have no idea who this is. It is most intriguing.

Track 11 sounds like something I should definitely know, and probably have in my collection. I just can't place it at all.

Phil Woods is playing clarinet on track 8. 

Track 9 is from an old favorite. I attended a prerelease concert featuring most of the music from this CD. 

Keep your thinking cap on for the rest of the tracks.

Track 14 sounds like some later Ben Webster, after 1965. It sounds like he is playing with a pickup group, or perhaps a group assigned to play with him for a gig or festival. The drummer does not keep a steady groove, seems scattered in his approach. Ben is by far my favorite musician on this track.

Track 16 is definitely Toots Thielemans on harmonica. The song is "The Peacocks" by Jimmy Rowles, which I became familiar with when I bought the Stan Getz-Jimmy Rowles collaboration album "The Peacocks" when it was first released in 1977.

I had no idea which album this track came from, but it was easy to find online, knowing that it was Toots Thielemans playing on "The Peacocks."R-2546006-1289807171.jpeg.jpg

Finally got a listen in.  No mining (well, a little where it will be obvious), just first impressions.

Track 01 - Old Devil Moon by a vibist I’m not familiar with.  Modern recording, in that it’s too clean.  The drums seem to lose something in the modern recordings, IMHO, as a result of the sound being *too* clean.  Drummer seems like he comes out of Billy Higgins.  Piano speaks to me most, here.  Not quite John Hicks, but definitely out of that school.  

Track 02 - Not feeling this one.  Keep waiting for it to go somewhere, but it never seems to get there.  Muhal Richard Abrams has some stuff like this and it’s the stuff that least reaches me.

Track 03 - Sounds like Gilmore’s tenor in the mix.  This has PRECISELY what the last track lacked.  That IT factor… or maybe it’s just that it swings.  That’s NOT Gilmore.  Very distinct tenor sound, almost like he’s holding it back.  Ballsy… sort of like a ballsy Oliver Nelson.  Particularly dig the drums on this cut.  That’s Paul Gonsalves right there.  Man, that right hand on the drummer is THICK!  I like this a lot!  This is must have material.

Track 04 - Overall, this seems too abstract for the sake of being that.  Sounds like Dolphy playing a clarinet, which I’ve only heard once or twice.  Doesn’t really click for me.  Seems absent the blues.

Track 05 - If You Could See Me Now (did Tadd Dameron write any songs that WEREN’T great?!).  No idea who the flugelhorn player is.  Didn’t really grab, but was perfectly pleasant.  Not a criticism, just an observation (hell, Art Farmer does that to me all the time!).

Track 06 - Expressive, warm soprano sound.  Inability to get that body in the tone is precisely why my soprano sits fallow most of the time.  Can’t come up with the name of the tune, which frustrates… Short, sweet, to the point.  Quite enjoyed this one.

Track 07 - Surrey With The Fringe On Top.  Cooking trio, but can’t say I know the players.  

Track 08 - Unclear on the tune, don’t know the players.  Not a clarinet guy, but oddly, I like this.

Track 09 - It’s a unique composition, but not in a way that makes me care.  I do like the blending of the instruments within the arrangement.  Liked it more as it went on, though the arrangement remains clunky.  Soloists all seemed to work well against the backdrop of the band, particularly the alto, Bari, and trombone.  

Track 10 - “Warming up in the bullpen for Cincinnati…”  No idea.

Track 11 - I believe this one was on a previous test (118).  I believe it’s track 9 from this.   Love the song, love the movie, love the version.

Track 12 - Interesting instrumentation.  Not sure where I am on the composition, but love the blend of the three voices.  Not feeling the organ, at all.  

Track 13 - Just friends.  Dual vibes?  Triple vibes?  Or two vibes and a marimba, anyway.  Three it is.  Seemingly older recording (I’d guess late 50s/early 60s from the sound of the rhythm section; either that or it’s Mapleshade doing their thing even better than usual).  Don’t know who.  Of there three, I prefer the third; first two are a bit bouncy in their style for my taste.  Rhythm section is right there, though, making this a good listen.

Track 14 - Georgia a la Big Ben (who fools NOBODY).  I know this is on multiple compilations.  I’m familiar with it from The Complete Recordings of Ben Webster on Enlightenment.  That seems to be Art Tatum on piano.  

Track 15 - I like the piano, crisp yet swinging.  Not enamored of the guitar sound.  

Track 16 - I do NOT like harmonica.  And yet, you’ve done it again: this, I like.  Strange instrumentation, but I’m all in.  

Oh, Thom Keith's comments about Track 4 made me go back and listen, because I have liked most of what I have heard with Eric Dolphy on it. I think that this is indeed Eric Dolphy on clarinet. I am not familiar with this recording, and I thought that I had heard all, or nearly all, of his recordings.

4 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 14 sounds like some later Ben Webster, after 1965. It sounds like he is playing with a pickup group, or perhaps a group assigned to play with him for a gig or festival. The drummer does not keep a steady groove, seems scattered in his approach. Ben is by far my favorite musician on this track.

Track 16 is definitely Toots Thielemans on harmonica. The song is "The Peacocks" by Jimmy Rowles, which I became familiar with when I bought the Stan Getz-Jimmy Rowles collaboration album "The Peacocks" when it was first released in 1977.

I had no idea which album this track came from, but it was easy to find online, knowing that it was Toots Thielemans playing on "The Peacocks."R-2546006-1289807171.jpeg.jpg

It is Ben Webster on track 14.

You have found the correct CD for this version of "The Peacocks."

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Finally got a listen in.  No mining (well, a little where it will be obvious), just first impressions.

Track 01 - Old Devil Moon by a vibist I’m not familiar with.  Modern recording, in that it’s too clean.  The drums seem to lose something in the modern recordings, IMHO, as a result of the sound being *too* clean.  Drummer seems like he comes out of Billy Higgins.  Piano speaks to me most, here.  Not quite John Hicks, but definitely out of that school.  

Track 02 - Not feeling this one.  Keep waiting for it to go somewhere, but it never seems to get there.  Muhal Richard Abrams has some stuff like this and it’s the stuff that least reaches me.

Track 03 - Sounds like Gilmore’s tenor in the mix.  This has PRECISELY what the last track lacked.  That IT factor… or maybe it’s just that it swings.  That’s NOT Gilmore.  Very distinct tenor sound, almost like he’s holding it back.  Ballsy… sort of like a ballsy Oliver Nelson.  Particularly dig the drums on this cut.  That’s Paul Gonsalves right there.  Man, that right hand on the drummer is THICK!  I like this a lot!  This is must have material.

Track 04 - Overall, this seems too abstract for the sake of being that.  Sounds like Dolphy playing a clarinet, which I’ve only heard once or twice.  Doesn’t really click for me.  Seems absent the blues.

Track 05 - If You Could See Me Now (did Tadd Dameron write any songs that WEREN’T great?!).  No idea who the flugelhorn player is.  Didn’t really grab, but was perfectly pleasant.  Not a criticism, just an observation (hell, Art Farmer does that to me all the time!).

Track 06 - Expressive, warm soprano sound.  Inability to get that body in the tone is precisely why my soprano sits fallow most of the time.  Can’t come up with the name of the tune, which frustrates… Short, sweet, to the point.  Quite enjoyed this one.

Track 07 - Surrey With The Fringe On Top.  Cooking trio, but can’t say I know the players.  

Track 08 - Unclear on the tune, don’t know the players.  Not a clarinet guy, but oddly, I like this.

Track 09 - It’s a unique composition, but not in a way that makes me care.  I do like the blending of the instruments within the arrangement.  Liked it more as it went on, though the arrangement remains clunky.  Soloists all seemed to work well against the backdrop of the band, particularly the alto, Bari, and trombone.  

Track 10 - “Warming up in the bullpen for Cincinnati…”  No idea.

Track 11 - I believe this one was on a previous test (118).  I believe it’s track 9 from this.   Love the song, love the movie, love the version.

Track 12 - Interesting instrumentation.  Not sure where I am on the composition, but love the blend of the three voices.  Not feeling the organ, at all.  

Track 13 - Just friends.  Dual vibes?  Triple vibes?  Or two vibes and a marimba, anyway.  Three it is.  Seemingly older recording (I’d guess late 50s/early 60s from the sound of the rhythm section; either that or it’s Mapleshade doing their thing even better than usual).  Don’t know who.  Of there three, I prefer the third; first two are a bit bouncy in their style for my taste.  Rhythm section is right there, though, making this a good listen.

Track 14 - Georgia a la Big Ben (who fools NOBODY).  I know this is on multiple compilations.  I’m familiar with it from The Complete Recordings of Ben Webster on Enlightenment.  That seems to be Art Tatum on piano.  

Track 15 - I like the piano, crisp yet swinging.  Not enamored of the guitar sound.  

Track 16 - I do NOT like harmonica.  And yet, you’ve done it again: this, I like.  Strange instrumentation, but I’m all in.  

Track 2 is going to surprise some folks.

Track 3 is Paul Gonsalves. Now what is the composition? :)

Track 4 is Eric Dolphy on clarinet.

Track 7 is correctly identified by title.

Track 11 is correct, I had no idea it had been used previously. I went to the link you provided then clicked on the allmusic.com  link and was surprised to find my review of this CD attached to a different CD by Toshiko Akiyoshi with a similar title. During my 14 years of writing for them, I found that the data entry folks frequently had no idea what they were doing, while the editors would randomly change star ratings, so a glowing review might end up with 3 stars.

Track 13 is Just Friends.

Track 14 is Ben Webster, but Art Tatum is not the pianist, this track was recorded after Tatum's death.

________

Keep those guesses and comments coming, everyone!

I went through all of my Paul Gonsalves albums and cannot find Track 3. This is very mysterious.

For a few seconds I thought I might have heard something that would help me identify the pianist on Track 2. There are some notes with the right hand, some higher pitched notes, played in a sort of wash of sound, which is a common device used by someone. But who? I can't place it yet!

Now you have me listening to Tracks 2 and 3 repeatedly 

Is Ran Blake the pianist on Track 2? He sounds somewhat like this on a few tracks of solo piano in my collection.

i have not been able to figure out the song title for Track 3 yet, but my efforts continue.  With repeated listens, I have come to really enjoy and appreciate the bassist and drummer on Track 3.

Edited by Hot Ptah